Bengaluru (PTI): A 57-year-old woman here allegedly lost about Rs 32 crore in a sophisticated "digital arrest" scam that lasted over six months, following which a case has been registered.

Posing as CBI officers, the fraudsters enforced a "digital arrest" by holding her under constant Skype surveillance. They used threats of arrest to coerce her into sharing all financial details and to make 187 bank transfers.

In her complaint, the software engineer of Indiranagar in the city stated that the ordeal lasted for over six months, until she got a 'clearance letter' from the fraudsters.

It began on September 15, 2024, with a call from a person claiming to be from DHL Andheri, alleging that a parcel booked in her name contained credit cards, passports and MDMA, and said her identity had been misused.

Before the woman could respond, the call was transferred to people posing as CBI officers, who threatened her and claimed "all evidence is against you".

The impostors warned her against contacting the police, saying criminals were watching her home. Fearing for her family and her son’s upcoming wedding, she remained silent.

The woman was instructed to install two Skype IDs and remain on video. A man identifying himself as Mohit Handa monitored her for two days, followed by Rahul Yadav, who watched her for a week.

Another impersonator, Pradeep Singh, posed as a senior CBI officer and pressured her to prove her innocence.

The complainant further said that the group appeared to know her phone activity and location, heightening her fear. They told her to verify all her assets with the Financial Intelligence Unit of the RBI and produced forged letters to make it appear official.

From 24 September to 22 October, Umarani shared details of her finances and transferred large sums.

Between 24 October and 3 November, she deposited a supposed surety amount of Rs two crore, followed by further payments for "taxes".

She was promised a clearance letter before her son’s engagement on December 6, and received a fake one.

The pressure left the woman mentally and physically unwell.

Finally, the victim received the clearance letter on December 1, allowing the engagement to proceed. But she fell seriously ill after that, requiring a month of medical treatment to recover.

"All this time I had to report over Skype where I am and what I am doing. This person, Pradeep Singh, was in touch daily. I was told that money will be returned by February 25 after completion of all procedures," she added.

Post December, the scammers demanded processing charges, repeatedly delaying refunds to February, then March. All communication ceased on March 26, 2025.

The complainant waited until after her son’s wedding in June to come forward and lodge a complaint.

"In total, through 187 transactions. I stand deprived of a total amount of approximately Rs 31.83 crores, which were deposited by me," she said.

The woman has asked the authorities to investigate the entire incident.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Nanded (Maharashtra) (PTI): A woman carried her 10-day-old baby while appearing for her Class 12 Maharashtra board examination in Nanded city, prompting authorities to set up a special mother-friendly facility at the exam centre, officials said.

Shital Chandrakant Chitte (21) arrived at the centre on Wednesday for her Political Science exam with her newborn. Earlier, just two days after delivery, she had also appeared for the English exam on February 10, accompanied by her sister.

Appreciating her determination towards education, the People's College authorities created a dedicated 'Matrusneh Kaksha' (mother-friendly room) and arranged a cradle for the baby, allowing Chitte to write her exam while her child rested.

ALSO READ:  Amid Epstein files controversy, Bill Gates to skip keynote address at India AI Impact Summit

Married two years ago, Chitte, a student of Shri Basweshwar College here, said she had no one at home to look after the baby as her husband leaves for work during the day.

With the Class 12 examination crucial for her future, she chose not to miss it, and her family has supported her decision to continue her education, Chitte said.

Nanded education officer Madhav Salgar appreciated the college's move to form a separate facility for the student during the exam.

"Henceforth, we, on behalf of the administration, will make arrangements at exam centres for such students to motivate them," he told PTI.

Maharashtra board's Latur divisional president Sudhakar Telang claimed this is the first such initiative in the state.

The Maharashtra board's Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC) examinations began on February 10 and are being conducted smoothly at the centre, where 861 candidates are appearing.