Bengaluru (PTI): A day after the body of a 40-year-old woman was found stuffed in a sack and dumped in a garbage truck here, her partner was arrested on Monday for allegedly killing her following a drunken altercation, police said.

The body was discovered by locals on Sunday, who alerted officials at the Chennammanakere Achukattu police station.

The deceased, identified as Asha, a resident of the same area, had been living with the 33-year-old man from Assam. Both worked as housekeeping staff through a private company, hired via aggregator apps, police said.

The couple had rented a house in the locality and introduced themselves as "husband and wife," though police said this has not been legally verified.

Asha returned home in an inebriated state on Saturday night, which led to a heated argument with her partner. The altercation allegedly turned physical, and she was suffocated to death, police said.

The man then tied up her body, stuffed it into a sack, and dumped it in a garbage truck sometime between late Saturday night and early Sunday, police added.

"Asha and the man had been living together for over a year. On the night of the incident, a drunken argument escalated into a physical fight, during which she was allegedly suffocated to death," said Lokesh B Jagalasar, Deputy Commissioner of Police (South).

A case of murder and destruction of evidence has been registered at the Chennammanakere Achukattu police station based on a complaint from locals. The man was taken into custody following questioning.

Police said Asha was a widow. Both she and the man had two children each from their previous marriages and were divorced before they began living together. Further investigation is underway.

The police have not yet revealed the man's name.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.

Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.

Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.

“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.

“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.

Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.

“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.

The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.

The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.

Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.

Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.