Bhtakal: The Uttara Kannada police have cracked the case of a bomb threat email sent to the Bhatkal Police Station, tracing it back to a habitual offender currently lodged in Mysuru prison.

The accused has been identified as Jatin Sharma, a native of Noida in Uttar Pradesh, as reported by The New Indian Express on Tuesday.

The threatening email, which claimed a bomb had been planted in Bhatkal town and would explode within 24 hours, was sent on July 10. Two emails were received in quick succession—one at 7:22 am with a brief message, "We have planted a bomb in the town", followed by another at 7:23 am warning, "It will blow off in 24 hours".

Police investigations revealed that Sharma, a repeat offender, used a mobile phone belonging to another inmate, Kannan Guruswamy of Munnar. The two reportedly met in Munnar jail. Sharma allegedly borrowed Kannan’s mobile phone under the pretext of contacting his wife but instead used it to send the bomb threat to Bhatkal police.

“Sharma who has worked in a hotel in Bhatkal, had issues with his live-in partner. He was arrested by the Noida police and convicted by a court. He is nursing a grudge against the police after this episode and is sending such emails. He is doing this out of hatred. He is facing at least 20 cases across the country of issuing bomb threats,” TNIE quoted Uttara Kannada SP M. Narayan as saying.

The accused typically stole or secretly used someone else’s mobile phone to send threat messages, without the knowledge of the phone’s actual owner.

“When we contacted the Munnar police, we learnt that the accused is in Mysuru jail. The Munnar police had obtained the body warrant for inquiry. We will bring him to Karwar for inquiry,” SP Narayan added.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.

Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.

Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.

“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.

“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.

Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.

“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.

The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.

The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.

Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.

Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.