Bengaluru, June 29 (PTI): Members of the Bike Taxi Welfare Association staged a hunger protest on Sunday, demanding to lift the ban on bike taxis in Karnataka and calling for an inclusive policy framework. They have also written an open letter to Chief Minister Siddaramaiah.

According to the association, protests were held in Bengaluru, Mysuru, Mandya, Davangere, and Ramanagara, with several bike taxi riders participating.

App-based bike taxi services were suspended across Karnataka on June 16 after the Karnataka High Court refused to stay an earlier order suspending such operations unless the state government notifies relevant guidelines under the Motor Vehicles Act.

A division bench of the High Court, on June 13, had declined to stay the April 2 order given by a single judge, which directed bike taxi operators to stop services within six weeks. This deadline was later extended to June 15.

"Sir, we, who ride through rain and sun to serve Karnataka, are writing this letter not out of anger but out of desperation. For many of us, this work is the only thing standing between dignity and destitution," the association’s letter to the Chief Minister stated.

The association said many riders have been left without work or alternatives, pushing them into extreme hardship. Some members have even been forced to beg on the streets to feed their families.

"In a final plea to be heard, we are now preparing to go on an indefinite hunger strike if our voices continue to be ignored. This is not out of protest, but sheer helplessness—hoping someone will listen before it’s too late," they added.

Nearly 80 per cent of the riders are local Kannadigas from modest backgrounds, the association said.

"We are students, single mothers, homemakers, and former migrant workers who have returned to our home state to work and contribute meaningfully. The flexibility this work offers has empowered lakhs, especially in areas where other livelihood options are limited."

The association also expressed frustration over what they called unequal treatment of their profession. While two-wheelers are allowed for food and parcel delivery under white number plates, those providing passenger rides on similar vehicles face penalties and harassment, they said.

"Both jobs are part of the gig economy, governed by the same Motor Vehicles Act. This inconsistency feels unjust and discriminatory. We ask only for equal treatment under a clear, inclusive policy framework. We are ready to comply with all guidelines, but we seek clarity, dignity, and the right to earn a livelihood," the letter read.

Bike taxis have become essential for commuters who rely on them for affordable and reliable last-mile transport, the association pointed out.

The bike taxis are essential for commuters who rely on them daily for affordable and reliable last-mile transport, it added.

"Sir, we are not asking for favours. We are asking to be heard. A policy shaped with our voices included will be grounded in reality, sustainable in implementation, and fair to all stakeholders—the government, platforms, riders, and the people of Karnataka," the open letter to Siddaramaiah stated.

Over the past 7-8 years, bike taxis have become a vital part of the transport ecosystem, especially in densely populated cities like Bengaluru and in Tier-2 and Tier-3 towns such as Mysuru, Hubballi, Belagavi, and Ballari, the association noted.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.

Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.

Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.

“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.

“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.

Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.

“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.

The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.

The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.

Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.

Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.