Bengaluru (PTI): Amid speculation that Congress has contacted him, former Karnataka Chief Minister and BJP MP D V Sadananda Gowda on Monday said he will share his "inner feelings" soon.

The 71-year-old former Union Minister, who is celebrating his birthday today, expressed his displeasure over being denied the ticket to contest from Bangalore North again and said "there is nothing left to say that BJP is a party with a difference in Karnataka."

BJP shifted Union Minister of State for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Shobha Karandlaje, who is currently representing Udupi Chikmagalur Lok Sabha segment, to contest from Bangalore North.

"It is true that I have been contacted by others, it is also true that our party leaders also contacted and discussed with me. Last night a predominant office bearer of our party came to me and tried to pacify me. Various things are happening," Gowda, a former State BJP President, said in response to a question.

Speaking to reporters here, he said today being his birthday he would like to spend time with family and well wishers.

ALSO READ: KS Eshwarappa says he will contest independently from Shivamogga seat in LS polls

"After that, making a decision, I will come before you, and address the media...I have to share my inner feelings. I have to discuss with my family on my decision, after my consciousness, I have to consult my family," he added.

Claiming that BJP National General Secretary and Karnataka in-charge Radha Mohan Das Agarwal had told him that out of 28 constituencies, Bangalore North was the only segment where there is no other candidate other than him, Gowda said he has information about certain developments that have happened in Delhi and here in the party.

"I had decided to stay away from electoral politics, but I was pulled back asking me to contest by all senior state leaders, but no one came to my rescue at the last minute, and have caused some embarrassment to me," he said.

Further noting that ups and down and embarrassments are common in politics, the former Union Minister, however, said despite knowing things, sacrificing someone for selfish motives "will hurt."

"There is nothing left to say, (BJP is) a party with a difference in Karnataka, this has pained me. I will speak about it," he added.

Gowda had earlier announced his decision to retire from electoral politics, but later backtracked saying that there is pressure on him to contest the election again.

Meanwhile, Karandlaje, who met Gowda today and greeted him on his birthday, said Congress will not be successful in its attempts.

"Congress is frustrated and confused without candidates, don't know who all they are contacting, Sadananda Gowda is a former Chief Minister, he had occupied several important ministries at the Centre. He is our senior leader, Congress will not be successful in this. Let them contact whoever they want, everyone will support Narendra Modi and will work towards making him PM once again," she said.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Parliament early Friday passed the contentious Waqf (Amendment) Bill, 2025, after it was approved by the Rajya Sabha.

The Lok Sabha had on Thursday approved the Bill after over a 12-hour debate.

In Rajya Sabha, the Bill got 128 votes in its favour and 95 against after all the amendments moved by the opposition were rejected.

In the lower house, the bill was supported by 288 MPs while 232 voted against it.

Participating in a debate in the Rajya Sabha, Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju said the Bill was brought with a number of amendments based on suggestions given by various stakeholders.

"The Waqf Board is a statutory body. All government bodies should be secular," the minister said, explaining the inclusion of non-Muslims on the board.

He, however, said the number of non-Muslims has been restricted to only four out of 22.

Rijiju also alleged that the Congress and other opposition parties, and not the BJP, were trying to scare Muslims with the Waqf Bill.

"You (opposition) are pushing Muslims out of the mainstream," he added.

He said for 60 years, the Congress and others ruled the country, but did not do much for Muslims and the community continues to live in poverty.

"Muslims are poor, who is responsible? You (Congress) are. Modi is now leading the government to uplift them," the minister said.

According to the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, Waqf tribunals will be strengthened, a structured selection process will be maintained, and a tenure will be fixed to ensure efficient dispute resolution.

As per the Bill, while Waqf institutions' mandatory contribution to Waqf boards is reduced from 7 per cent to 5 per cent, Waqf institutions earning over Rs 1 lakh will undergo audits by state-sponsored auditors.

A centralised portal will automate Waqf property management, improving efficiency and transparency.

The Bill proposes that practising Muslims (for at least five years) can dedicate their property to the Waqf, restoring pre-2013 rules.

It stipulates that women must receive their inheritance before the Waqf declaration, with special provisions for widows, divorced women and orphans.

The Bill proposes that an officer above the rank of collector investigate government properties claimed as Waqf.

It also proposes that non-Muslim members be included in the central and state Waqf boards for inclusivity.