Bengaluru (PTI): BJP leaders in Karnataka on Sunday carried out a signature campaign and a silent protest at the Lalbagh botanical garden here, against the state government's proposed tunnel road project in Bengaluru, calling it a "VIP corridor".

The protest led by the Leader of Opposition in Legislative Assembly R Ashoka and Bangalore South MP Tejasvi Surya, under the slogan "Protect Bengaluru - Stop tunnel road", was also participated by several party legislators from the city.

The leaders also interacted with the public, morning walkers at the Lalbagh regarding the proposed project.

BJP leaders and other activists have raised concerns over the possible environmental impact of the project on Lalbagh, and have said it will clearly be a disaster for Bengaluru.

Leaders have alleged that in Lalbagh, 6 acres of land will be acquired for the project.

Reacting to BJP's signature campaign, Deputy CM D K Shivakumar, who is also in charge of Bengaluru development said he was ready to constitute a committee on the tunnel road under the leadership of Ashoka, and its members will be selected as per his recommendations, "let them give solutions."

"This (project) is not my property or anyone else's, it is for the public good. I have studied everything, I'm not a fool to destroy Lalbagh. They (BJP) are doing politics, doesn't the metro project have tunnels. They don't want development .....opposition is a different matter, let them give suggestions and solutions, I'm ready to examine," he said.

He said that he too can give a call for a signature campaign using the Congress party organisation, while BJP can't do anything without RSS. "Without RSS they (BJP) is zero."

The proposed 16.75-km tunnel road will connect Silk Board and Hebbal, at an estimated cost of about Rs 17,800 crore.

Earlier in the day, speaking to reporters here, Ashoka said, this is not a twin tunnel road for citizens, it is a "VIP corridor".

"The tunnel road project will not benefit the middle class, lower middle class poor, which constitutes over 90 percent of Bengaluru's population.

Two wheelers are not allowed on the tunnel road, only cars are allowed. 70 per cent of vehicles in the city are two wheelers. It is a VIP project.

Bengaluru corporation will have to take a Rs 8,000 crore loan for this project, a tender has been called for this," he said.

Noting that the project will have negative effect on Bengaluru's economy, the Leader of Opposition said, the project will come 130 ft below the ground, no permission has been taken from the geological survey department for the project which passes through Lalbagh, which is a monument.

Questioning whether the tunnel road will fix Bengaluru's traffic issues, he said, "we are not opposed to development. First fix the potholes on the roads above the ground, which have created a world record of sorts. What happened to the CM's deadline to fix all potholes in the city by October 31? As per officials still 25,000 potholes are to be filled."

Ashoka also raised questions on the feasibility of the project, and also termed it as a "costly" project.

Advising Shivakumar to go for expanding the Metro network in the city instead of tunnel roads, he said, permissions from 120 departments are required for tunnel roads, but none of them have come. "Has the tender been called without permission for the sake of commission? Is this tunnel road project for funding to Bihar or Tamil Nadu polls?"

MP Surya termed the tunnel road project as -- by the rich and for the rich, and financially unviable, said, BJP as a party is opposing this project on behalf of the people of Bengaluru.

"Only 12 percent people use cars in Bengaluru and this project only helps them that too by spending Rs 20,000 per month on toll. Various lakes and parks have been identified as entry and exits for this tunnel road project.

Officials have no answers to questions on whether they have taken environmental clearance or clearance from the Geological survey, hydrological survey or assessment, but they have called tender," he said.

Noting that the project will make Bengaluru and Karnataka government "bankrupt", the MP said, "this project is so financially unviable that in the DPR itself it is said that Rs 7,500 crore viability gap funding will be given to the contractors. Where will this amount come from? by taking a loan."

He suggested the government look into expanding the metro, providing good roads and footpaths, while comparing that the estimated cost for tunnel road could fund over 300 km of metro construction, as he highlighted that public transport, which carries 60,000 commuters per hour (against the tunnel's projected 1,800 vehicles), is the viable solution.

Meanwhile, Shivakumar, slamming Surya for his opposition to the tunnel road project said, he is suggesting suburban trains, let him get it done from the central government. He is also talking about implementation of BRTS (Bus Rapid Transit System), but where is the place in Bengaluru?

Responding to a question, the Deputy CM chided Surya by calling a "big leader" with "high talent".

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.

The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.

"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.

"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.

Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.

As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.

Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.

Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.

He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.

Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".