BENGALURU: The BJP state leadership is said to have initiated moves to pacify former minister and mining baron from Bellary, G Janardhan Reddy. Reddy, who was keen to play an active role in the Assembly election for the party was peeved after BJP national president Amit Shah stated that the party has nothing to do with him.
Shah's statement had not gone down well with Reddy's loyalists in the party, including BJP MP B Sriramulu. Bellary leaders had played a crucial role in party's victory in 2008 elections and Sriramulu is seen as a strong ST (Nayaka community) leader in the party.
On Wednesday, state BJP president B S Yeddyurappa said the party high command will discuss the issue with Sriramulu and take a decision. He, however, maintained that there was no question of giving party tickets to any tainted leaders. During his recent visit to the state, Shah had stated that the party had nothing to do with Reddy.
Reddy, who still retains influence among the voters in many pockets of Ballari, Chitradurga and other parts of the state, is said to be upset by Shah's statement. BJP candidates in Ballari district would be keen to get his support as any trouble at this stage can do a lot of damage to the party in the region.
Sources in the party said Reddy will work for BJP during the elections and strive for the victory of the party candidates. More importantly, he wants to tighten his grip over the Ballari and neighbouring districts where he and his friend Ballari MP Sriramulu have a hold over the electorate. Sriramulu had earlier stated that his close friend will be supporting BJP candidates in the general elections. He, however, had refused to comment about the party president's statement.Reddy was arrested in illegal mining case is out on bail. He is barred from entering Ballari.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.
Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.
Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.
“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.
“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.
“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.
The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.
The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.
Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.
Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.
