Bengaluru: State BJP president B.Y. Vijayendra on Friday said that the Bharatiya Janata Party would not indulge in politics over the issues faced by sugarcane farmers, asserting that the party’s support for the ongoing farmers’ agitation is based on humanitarian concern, not political gain.
Speaking to reporters in Bengaluru, Vijayendra criticized the Congress government, stating, “It has been six days since the farmers’ protest began, yet not a single responsible minister has visited them. If we wanted to politicize the matter, we would have joined the protest on the first day itself. We are merely supporting the farmers’ struggle.”
Taking a dig at a Congress MLA who allegedly said that sugarcane growers are not real farmers, Vijayendra called the statement “shameful and insensitive.”
He further added, “When a war is imminent, you don’t begin weapons training at the last moment. The Chief Minister should have convened a meeting with sugar mill owners and farmer leaders well before the crushing season began. Though it’s already late, there’s still time, don’t test the farmers’ patience any further. Don’t just sit idle after writing to the Prime Minister; take concrete action.”
Vijayendra accused the Chief Minister of showing negligence and delay in addressing the crisis. “The situation should not have reached a point where farmers were forced to take to the streets. The protest has now intensified, and instead of taking responsibility, the government is trying to shift the blame onto the Centre,” he said.
Clarifying on pricing mechanisms, Vijayendra pointed out that the Fair and Remunerative Price (FRP) is not decided solely by the Prime Minister. “It is determined after consultations with officials and experts from all states. Even if the Centre fixes the FRP, states are free to offer a higher State Advisory Price (SAP). The Chief Minister should approach the issue with humanity,” he urged.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
