Bengaluru: Announcement of the first list of 72 candidates by the BJP late on Sunday for the Assembly elections triggered heartburn among disappointed ticket aspirants in different parts of the State.

BJP top leaders, who returned from New Delhi after the central election committee meeting, had to face embarrassing moments as the disappointed ticket aspirants have not only resorted to protests, but also alleged the role of money.

According to a TH report, In Bengaluru, BJP leader N.R. Ramesh, who missed ticket for Chickpet constituency, publicly alleged the role of money. He said Union Minister Ananth Kumar was responsible for businessman Uday Garudachar getting ticket from Chickpet despite losing the previous elections.

The ticket distribution issue appears to have again brought to fore allegations of leaders from Karnataka Janata Party, with which Mr. Yeddyurappa associated himself for over a year, getting priority over loyal BJP workers in some constituencies.

In Bailhongal of Belagavi district, Vishwanath Patil, who had contested the previous polls on KJP ticket, has got ticket this time while senior leader Jagadish Metgud who had contested against him as BJP nominee has missed out this time. The supporters of Mr. Metgud alleged bias towards KJP in ticket selection. They staged a protest, shouted slogans against Mr. Yeddyurappa, and beat his effigy with footwear.

In Molakalmur of Chitradurga district, sitting MLA Thippeswamy has been ignored by the party, which has given ticket to B. Sriramulu, a leader from the neighbouring Ballari district. This has upset Mr. Thippeswamy who sent out a strong message to the party top leaders by holding a meeting of his supporters to express dissatisfaction.

In Bijapur, former Minister Appu Pattanshetty, who missed party ticket, kept his supporters guessing on his next political move. But he expressed dissatisfaction over people from other parties being inducted into BJP.

However, seeking to play down the embarrassing episode, BJP State president B.S. Yeddyurappa told reporters in Bengaluru that disappointment was common soon after declaration of party ticket. He said he would hold personal consultations with disappointed ticket aspirants to assuage their feelings.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.

Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.

Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.

“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.

“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.

Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.

“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.

The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.

The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.

Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.

Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.