Bengaluru: According to police officials the Central Crime Branch (CCB) of the Bengaluru police has registered a case against Shore Dwellings Pvt Ltd, senior officials of ICICI Bank, Kappa Developers LLP and others over an alleged housing fraud involving more than ₹130 crore on Friday.
The case relates to the stalled ‘Mantri Vantage’ residential project in Pune which is developed by Shore Dwellings Pvt Ltd, a subsidiary of Mantri Developers Pvt Ltd., as reported by The Indian Express. Citing alleged financial irregularities and cheating of homebuyers, the FIR was registered after a complaint was submitted to the Bengaluru Police Commissioner.
According to the complaint, Shore Dwellings entered into joint development agreements with landowners and developers for constructing residential apartments in Kharadi and Ghorpadi villages of Haveli taluk in Pune district. The company allegedly assured delivery of 123 flats and collected around ₹70 crore from homebuyers through advance bookings and installments.
The complainants have alleged that the developer mortgaged the project land to Yes Bank and availed loans of about ₹40 crore. The loans were later taken over by ICICI Bank. It is alleged that ICICI Bank sanctioned loans amounting to nearly ₹130 crore, of which over ₹60 crore was disbursed, despite limited construction progress on the ground.
The complaint further alleges that bank officials released funds in violation of project finance norms. It also mentions that portions of the loan amount were diverted for purposes unrelated to construction. In December 2021, an agreement was allegedly entered into with Kappa Developers LLP to develop the project without adequately protecting the interests of existing flat purchasers.
Other accused named in the FIR include Plaza Agencies Pvt Ltd and Nidhi Jain. Sources cited by TIE said that while the loans were sanctioned and monitored by banks and financiers based in the city, the promoters of the project operated from an office on Vittal Mallya Road in Bengaluru, giving the Bengaluru police jurisdiction in the matter.
The FIR was lodged under provisions of the IPC, related to criminal conspiracy, cheating, dishonest misappropriation, criminal breach of trust and forgery.
Sources quoted by TIE informed that the project was originally scheduled for completion in December 2019. But due to Covid-19 pandemic it was halted. By 2021, the promoters allegedly became unresponsive. Many of the 123 buyers, most of them senior citizens, later learnt that the project had been mortgaged and that the loan account had been classified as a non-performing asset in 2019.
Attempts were reportedly made in 2021 to revive the project through a one-time settlement involving lenders and a third-party developer, but the plan did not fructify. In December last year, buyers said they discovered a possession notice at the site and became aware of financial and legal arrangements that had not been disclosed to them earlier.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Budaun (PTI): A six-year-old girl died after allegedly swallowing a bead of her bracelet at a private school in Uttar Pradesh's Budaun on Monday, police said.
The incident occurred at New Hopes Public School in Kakrala town, where Class I student Taapsi, reportedly swallowed a bead of a bracelet she was wearing in the classroom at around 11.30 am, officials said.
According to the school administration, the child experienced breathing difficulty following the incident. Her family members were informed and she was taken to a local community health centre.
She was later taken to the district headquarters and admitted to the district hospital, where doctors declared her dead.
The girl’s father Tekchandra demanded action against the school administration, claiming the family was informed after his daughter died.
School principal Bhooraj Singh said the student had arrived at school in normal condition. A classmate informed the teacher that the child had chewed and swallowed a bead of her bracelet, following which the school immediately alerted the family and arranged for medical assistance.
He added that CCTV footage from the classroom has been handed over to police and the school is cooperating with the investigation.
Alapur Station House Officer Madhav Singh Bisht said the school informed police about the incident. After receiving an information from the district hospital, police began inquest proceedings and preparations for a post-mortem examination.
He added that senior officials have been informed and a panel will conduct the autopsy.
According to the police, the CCTV footage has been collected from the school.
No formal complaint has been received from the family so far, and further legal action will be taken after due inquiry, the SHO said.
