Gadag: Former Karnataka Chief Minister and BJP MP Basavaraj Bommai has raised concerns over the state government’s silence on Law Minister H.K. Patil’s letter, which expressed dissatisfaction with the government's handling of illegal mining cases.
Speaking to the media in Gadag, Bommai pointed out that 90% of the illegal mining cases registered remain unresolved, a serious issue raised by a sitting minister from the ruling government itself. “It is now up to Chief Minister Siddaramaiah to respond. The people of Karnataka are watching,” he said.
He further noted that H.K. Patil has demanded a special court and a high-level probe into the mining cases. While several SITs and CBI investigations are already underway, Bommai questioned whether Patil would also support a probe into alleged lease renewals done during Siddaramaiah’s previous term in 2017–18, just before a central law mandated e-auctioning of mining leases.
Bommai also referred to corruption allegations against SIT officials and hinted that earlier mining lease renewals may have been selectively granted by the state government.
Responding to a question about Congress MLA B.R. Patil’s remarks on corruption in the allocation of government housing, Bommai remarked, “B.R. Patil often raises serious issues, but no one in the Congress respects his words. It is clear that those who speak against corruption have no dignity or space in the Congress party.”
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Pallekele (PTI): Senior Australia batter Steve Smith was on Monday approved as replacement for the injured pacer Josh Hazlewood, hours before his side's must-win T20 World Cup match against Sri Lanka here.
Smith thus becomes the 15th member of the injury-hit Australia squad.
"Smith is named as a replacement for Hazlewood, who is now officially ruled out from participating in the tournament due to a calf injury. The team’s medical staff had hoped to have him fit in time to feature in the latter parts of the tournament but were unsuccessful," the ICC said in statement.
Smith had earlier been flown to Sri Lanka as cover for skipper Mitchell Marsh, who missed Australia's opening two matches due to a testicular injury.
The veteran batter trained with the squad on Sunday and is in contention to feature in the crucial clash.
Smith has not played a T20I since February last year but has been in good form in the format in domestic competitions.
In positive signs for the 2021 champions, Marsh too has returned to training. The skipper batted in the nets while also taking part in running and fielding drills on Sunday.
Australia’s World Cup campaign is hanging in the balance following their 23-run defeat to Zimbabwe, and they must beat Sri Lanka on Monday to avoid an early exit.
