Bengaluru: A recent data shows a marked increase in the number of Caesarean (C-section) deliveries in Karnataka is increasing, both in private and government facilities. Rural districts that traditionally recorded higher rates of vaginal births are also following the new trend.
According to statewide figures accessed by Deccan Herald, as of September in the 2025–26 financial year, 63 per cent of deliveries in private hospitals were C-sections. Government facilities reported 40 per cent deliveries through c-section. In 2022–23, the corresponding figures were 60 per cent and 35 per cent. Contrary to the belief that C-sections are primarily an urban phenomenon, several districts in North Karnataka have now recorded higher rates than Bengaluru Urban.
Health department officials attribute the trend to changing lifestyles, reduced pain tolerance, and an increase in high-risk pregnancies. “Lifestyle in rural areas has changed significantly. Sedentary habits, malnutrition due to processed food consumption, higher BMI, hypertension, and diabetes among women have increased pregnancy risks, leading to more C-sections,” said Dr. Rajkumar N, Deputy Director, Maternal Health.
Doctors in rural areas also note a shift in perception among expectant mothers. “Many women believe C-sections are safer after hearing stories of complications during normal delivery in earlier generations. With improved medical facilities, they prefer a planned procedure to avoid prolonged labour,” said a government doctor from northern Karnataka.
In urban centres, the reasons differ. Doctors say career and educational priorities have led many women to delay pregnancy, increasing the likelihood of complications. “Older mothers face higher pregnancy risks, which often necessitate C-sections,” DH quoted Dr. Tasneem Nishah Shah, Lead Consultant, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, and Robotic Surgery at a hospital in Whitefield, as saying.
Many women choose scheduled deliveries due to beliefs about auspicious timing or concerns that vaginal birth could affect sexual satisfaction later. Experts say these misconceptions, along with fear of labour pain, have contributed to the normalisation of elective C-sections.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
