Bengaluru, Jan 24 (PTI): A 39-year-old cab driver died by suicide after setting himself on fire with kerosene outside his estranged wife's house here over family feud, police said on Friday.
The deceased has been identified as Manjunath, who hailed from Tumakuru, they said.
The incident occurred on Thursday night in an area that comes under Jnanabharathi police station limits, they added.
Preliminary inquiry has revealed that there were disputes between Manjunath and his wife Nayana Raj, who is a makeup artist. Due to feud, they were living separately since 2023. Nayana had filed a case in the court, a senior police officer said.
However, Manjunath was not in favour of divorce and used to come regularly to her apartment and plead that he would live with her peacefully without causing trouble. During his visits, he tried to convince her to not divorce him, he said.
On Thursday morning, Manjunath went to his wife's house but she refused to open the door. Enraged with it, he returned to her house at 11 pm and allegedly set himself on fire with Kerosene and died in front of her apartment, said S Girish, Deputy Commissioner of Police (West Bengaluru).
According to police, Manjunath had fallen in love with Nayana. Going against the wish of family, he married her at Dharmasthala in 2016. Since then they were living in Vimaleshwara Kripa, Jnanabharathi NGEF Layout.
They have a nine-year-old son studying in Class 4.
A case has been registered under section 194 (Police to enquire and report on suicide, etc) of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita, police said.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): Climate activist Sonam Wangchuk's wife Gitanjali J Angmo alleged in the Supreme Court on Thursday that four videos which formed the basis of her husband's detention were not shown to him and only the thumbnails on pen drive were displayed.
Senior advocate Kapil Sibal, appearing in the court for Angmo, told a bench of justices Aravind Kumar and Prasanna B Varale that not supplying the videos violated Wangchuk's right to effective representation before the advisory board as well as the government.
"It is now alleged by the State that that DIG came with a laptop and shown four videos. The laptop was provided to detenue on October 5, 2025, but those four vidoes were not there.
"Let us assume they showed it to be, that is not the requirement of law. The requirement is to give it to me. They have to provide the document, I don't have to ask. It is there constitutional duty to supply. We have said that time and again that the four was never supplied," Sibal said.
Another lawyer assisting Sibal informed the court that the pen drive was inserted in the laptop before Wangchuk and he only saw the thumbnails.
"The videos were not actually played. None of the thumbnails were actually clicked," the lawyer said.
Additional Solicitor General KM Nataraj submitted that there is a video in which the conversation with the DIG and detenue will show everything.
The top court said it see the relevant video recordings, including a 40-minute video of the interaction between police officials and the detenue.
The matter is now posted for hearing on February 23.
On Monday, the apex court had questioned the Centre about the transcripts of videos submitted by it against Wangchuk and said the translations should be precise in the age of artificial intelligence.
It had told Nataraj that it wanted actual transcripts of Wangchuk's statements from the government after Sibal submitted that some of the words attributed to the activist were never said by him.
The top court was hearing a habeas corpus petition filed by Wangchuk's wife, Gitanjali Angmo, seeking a declaration that his detention under the National Security Act (NSA), 1980, is illegal.
The NSA empowers the Centre and the states to detain individuals to prevent them from acting in a manner "prejudicial to the defence of India."
The maximum detention period is 12 months, though it can be revoked earlier. Angmo said the violence in Leh on September 24 last year cannot be attributed in any manner to the actions or statements of Wangchuk.
Wangchuk himself condemned the violence through his social media handles and categorically said it would lead to the failure of Ladakh's "tapasya" and its peaceful pursuit of five years, Angmo said, adding that it was the saddest day of his life.
