Bagalkote (Karnataka), Apr 30 (PTI): Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Wednesday insisted that the Centre should conduct a socio-economic survey as the caste census alone will not suffice.
In a major decision, the Centre on Wednesday announced that caste enumeration will be included in the forthcoming census exercise in a ‘transparent’ manner.
Opposition parties, including the Congress, have been demanding a nationwide caste census, making it a major election issue, and some states like Bihar, Telangana and Karnataka have conducted such surveys in their states.
Karnataka carried out a ‘social and educational survey’ covering 94 per cent of the state population. After nine years of the exercise since 2015, the then Backward Class Commission Chairperson Jayaprakash Hegde submitted the report to the chief minister in February 2024.
Amid internal differences over the caste census report, a special meeting of the state cabinet that met on April 17, 2025, to discuss it, ended inconclusive, without any major decision.
Speaking to reporters here, Siddaramaiah said, "We (Congress) had said in our manifesto that a socio-economic and caste census should be conducted. I don’t know whether they would do just a caste census or a socio-economic survey as well. I will react after going through it (Centre’s decision)."
Siddaramaiah said a socio-economic survey was necessary for social justice.
"They (Centre) have said they would do a census and caste census. Socio-economic survey is very important. If we have to do social justice, then socio-economic survey has to be done," he added.
When he was reminded that he faced criticism for tabling the caste census at a cabinet meeting held recently, the chief minister said he had told all the ministers to give their opinion.
"After the ministers submit their opinion in writing, we will present it in the cabinet and discuss the socio-economic survey report," Siddaramaiah added.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday held wide-ranging talks with French President Emmanuel Macron to boost ties in key sectors such as trade, defence, energy and critical technologies.
Macron landed in Mumbai early this morning on a three-day visit to attend the AI Impact Summit in New Delhi and meet PM Modi.
After the talks with Modi, Macron will attend a ceremony to launch the India-France Year of Innovation.
His visit comes days after India cleared a long-pending proposal to procure 114 Rafale fighter jets under a government-to-government framework with France.
It has been billed as one of the world's biggest military procurement programmes in recent years.
It is learnt that shoring up defence cooperation and enhancing bilateral engagement in the critical technology sector are priority areas to take forward the ties.
"Welcome to India! India looks forward to your visit and to advancing our bilateral ties to new heights. I am confident that our discussions will further strengthen cooperation across sectors and contribute to global progress," Modi said on social media earlier in the day in response to a post by Macron.
