Chamarajanagar: In a tragic incident reported from the Biligiri Ranganath Tiger Reserve in Chamarajanagar district, a 30-year-old Soliga tribal youngster was killed in a bear attack while collecting honey in the forest.
The deceased has been identified as Siddu, son of Rangegowda, a resident of the Podu hamlet near Seegabetta. On Monday afternoon, Siddu had ventured into the forest to collect wild honey when a wild bear attacked him. He suffered severe injuries to his face and legs and is reported to have died on the spot due to the intensity of the attack.
Following the incident, A.R. Krishnamurthy, MLA of the Kollegal constituency, visited Siddu's family to offer condolences and handed over a compensation cheque of ₹5 lakh on behalf of the state government. He informed that the remaining compensation amount would be directly transferred to the family's bank account.
Those present during the condolence visit and compensation distribution included District Guarantee Scheme Implementation Committee Chairman H.V. Chandru, Sub-Divisional Officer Mahesh, Deputy Conservator of BRT Tiger Reserve Sripati, Assistant Forest Conservator Manjunath, Range Forest Officer Vasu, District Scheduled Caste Welfare Officer H.S. Bindhya, former Zilla Panchayat Vice President J. Yogesh, and Gram Panchayat member C.D. Mahadev.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.
Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.
Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.
“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.
“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.
“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.
The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.
The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.
Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.
Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.
