Bengaluru (PTI): Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Saturday alleged that after Narendra Modi became Prime Minister, he "destroyed all constitutional and independent institutions in the country" and made them, including the Election Commission, subordinate to the central government.

Claiming that the BJP has proved itself to be "experts in vote theft", the Chief Minister accused the saffron party of coming to power at the Centre and in several states through such means.

He was speaking after announcing that the Congress party has gathered more than 1.12 crore signatures against "vote theft" in the state as part of its signature campaign.

"We call BJP experts in lying; they are not just experts in lying, lies are their home deity. They are not just limited to it. They have proved that they are experts in vote theft. Vote theft has become their profession," Siddaramaiah said.

"BJP in recent years, through vote theft, have won Lok Sabha and Assembly polls and has come to power at the Centre and in several states," he added.

Speaking to reporters here, he said Congress leader Rahul Gandhi has exposed them with evidence in Maharashtra, Karnataka and Haryana.

"During the recent Bihar polls, people who had earlier voted in Delhi polls have voted in Bihar too. According to our Constitution, a person can cast only one vote. Voting twice at multiple places is unconstitutional. Gaining power using unconstitutional means is against the basic principles of democracy and the Constitution," he added.

Hitting out at the Election Commission for failing to investigate the vote theft allegations made by Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, the Chief Minister said the Commission was responding "irresponsibly" and not acting in accordance with the Constitution in a democratic system.

"It is clear from this that the Election Commission is functioning under the influence of the central government. Not only now, after Narendra Modi became the Prime Minister, he has destroyed all the independent agencies or bodies like CBI, ED, IT and now the Election Commission by making them function under their (ruling BJP) influence," Siddaramaiah said.

All these independent bodies are functioning as subordinates of the central government, he added, calling it "detrimental to democracy."

To get the attention of the people and to protect the Constitution and democracy, and also independent agencies or bodies, a signature campaign was launched by Congress against vote theft, Siddaramaiah said. So far, more than 1.12 crore signatures have been gathered in Karnataka, and it will continue.

"Probably by November 10, the first set of signatures that have been gathered will be sent to the AICC, which will send it to the President of India (Droupadi Murmu) and the Chief Election Commissioner (Gyanesh Kumar)," he said.

"This is being done to get the attention of the people and to create awareness among them, and thereby protect the constitutional bodies," he said, adding that the signature campaign was held in all 40 political districts of the party, and that the campaign has to be intensified in the next few days wherever it has been slow.

State Congress President and Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar said a total of 1,12,40,000 signatures have been gathered from Karnataka for the signature campaign organised by AICC leaders against vote theft.

"Signatures have been collected from all the Assembly constituencies of the state and the 40 organisational districts of the party. Our workers have worked very honestly in this campaign," he told reporters.

"Except for 8-10 places, signatures have been gathered well in all the remaining places. Booth-wise signatures have been gathered, and we are working to create awareness among the people about vote theft," he added.

It has been decided to send the signatures gathered to Delhi on November 10, Shivakumar said, adding that they will be delivered to the AICC in Delhi by district presidents who have worked with great responsibility for this campaign.

A massive rally is planned by the party at Delhi's Ramlila Maidan in the third week of November (November 25), he said, adding, "This campaign will not stop here. In those areas where the campaign has not been done properly, it will be continued for another three to four days."

In September, Rahul Gandhi had accused Chief Election Commissioner Gyanesh Kumar of protecting those who "destroyed democracy" and cited data from the Aland assembly constituency in Karnataka to claim that the votes of Congress supporters were being "systematically deleted ahead of elections".

In August, Rahul, citing data from the 2024 Lok Sabha polls, had claimed that over one lakh votes were "stolen" through manipulation in the Mahadevapura assembly segment in Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.

The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.

"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.

"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.

Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.

As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.

Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.

Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.

He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.

Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".