Bengaluru (PTI): Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Monday instructed police officers to take strict action to prevent any untoward incidents during New Year celebrations here.

The chief minister held a meeting with officials from various departments, including the police, during which he was briefed on precautionary measures put in place.

"All precautionary measures should be taken for the safety of women during the New Year celebrations. It should be ensured that no untoward incident occurs," Siddaramaiah was quoted as saying in a statement issued by his office.

ALSO READ: US businessman shares ₹2,155 crore bonus with employees after company sale]

He also directed that arrangements be made to ensure a large number of Bengaluru Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) buses are available after midnight to facilitate people returning home safely after celebrations.

Steps should be taken to prevent overcrowding at key areas, including Mahatma Gandhi Road, Brigade Road, Church Street, Koramangala, and Indiranagar, he said, adding that modern technology should be deployed appropriately to manage the crowds.

Noting that 20,000 personnel have been deployed in Bengaluru for security, Siddaramaiah said, "This time we are deploying 1,200 police officers from other districts. Women police should be deployed in large numbers. Chennamma forces should be actively deployed."

He said 4 control rooms, 78 watchtowers, 164 women’s help desks, and 55 ambulances have been arranged to ensure smooth New Year celebrations in the city, and pointed out that 3,500 drink-and-drive cases have been registered in the past three days.

The chief minister added that two-wheeler traffic will be stopped on 50 flyovers in the city on New Year’s Eve.

Instructing authorities to maintain constant vigil on miscreants, he said, "Activities such as wheeling of bikes should not be allowed, and strict measures should be taken to control drug-related activities. These activities cannot be tolerated under any circumstances."

Home Minister Parameshwara, Chief Minister’s Political Secretary Naseer Ahmed, Chief Secretary Shalini Rajneesh, State Director General of Police M A Salim, City Police Commissioner Seemanth Kumar Singh, GBA Chief Commissioner Maheshwar Rao, and senior police officers were present at the meeting.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): The Delhi High Court on Friday asked Jaideep Sengar, brother of Unnao rape case convict Kuldeep Sengar, to surrender before jail authorities in connection with his conviction in the custodial death case of the survivor's father.

A bench of Justices Navin Chawla and Ravinder Dudeja was hearing a plea by the convict for further extension of interim bail upon suspension of the 10-year sentence.

It observed that the interim bail granted to Jaideep Sengar in July 2024 was last extended in April 2025 and since then, in spite of five dates, no order of any further extension or suspension of his sentence has been passed by the court.

As the senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar urged the bench to extend the period of his release on account of his health, the bench said, "You surrender and then we will see."

"Although there is no extension of interim suspension of sentence granted, we find he has still not surrendered. Before we proceed to consider his application for further extension of suspension of sentence, we require the appellant to first surrender," the bench ordered.

The senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar assured the court that he would surrender by Saturday.

The court listed the matter for hearing next week.

Jaideep Sengar, 50, sought the bail extension on the grounds that he is suffering from oral cancer.

The Central Bureau of Investigation's (CBI) counsel had earlier said it was not a fit case for extension of interim bail, and the prescription given by Jaideep Sengar in support of his plea was fabricated.

In his application, Jaideep Sengar said he was suffering from stage IV oral cancer, a life-threatening condition, and had developed clinical signs of recurrence.

The condition, the plea said, required continuous and specialised medical care.

The plea also informed that Jaideep Sengar has spent about four years in custody.

The high court had granted interim bail to Jaideep Sengar on July 3, 2024, for two months on medical grounds.

Kuldeep Sengar was convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for the remainder of his life on December 20, 2019, for raping the minor in 2017.

On March 13, 2020, Kuldeep Sengar, along with Jaideep Sengar, was sentenced to 10 years' rigorous imprisonment by the trial court, which also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh, in the custodial death case of the rape survivor's father.

The survivor's father was arrested, allegedly at the behest of the accused, under the Arms Act and died in custody on April 9, 2018, owing to police brutality.

The trial court said no leniency could be shown for killing a family's sole breadwinner.