Bengaluru, Jul 13 (PTI): Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Sunday urged Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways Nitin Gadkari to postpone the inauguration of Sigandur bridge and foundation stone laying ceremony of infrastructure projects at Sagara taluk in Shivamogga on July 14, stating that he was not intimated in advance.

Citing his scheduled visit to Indi taluk in Vijayapura district, the CM in a letter to Gadkari said, it would have been more appropriate for MoRTH to have consulted with the state government before scheduling such a programme, and requested him to instruct the officials in this regard.

"It has come to my notice that the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways along with National Highway Authority of India is organising "Dedication to Nation and Foundation Stone Laying Ceremony" Programme on 14th of July, 2025 in Nehru Field, Sagara Taluk, Shivamogga District, and my name has also been printed in the draft invitation card. However, I have not been intimated about this programme in advance," Siddaramaiah said in his letter.

Noting that an inauguration programme of various developmental schemes is already scheduled under his Chairmanship in Indi taluka of Vijayapura district on the same day, he said it would have been more appropriate for MoRTH to have consulted with the state government before scheduling the state-level programmes.

"Therefore, I request you to instruct the department to co-ordinate with the state government while organising such programmes. Also, I request you to postpone this programme and provide me with a couple of dates convenient to you, so that I would be able to join you in this significant state level programme," he added.

Gadkari is scheduled to inaugurate "Sigandur Bridge", which is said to be India's second longest cable-stayed bridge between Ambaragodlu-Kalasavalli in Sagara taluk on Monday.

The bridge has been built at a cost of Rs 473 crore and is 2.44 km long, official sources said.

Earlier in the day, Shivamogga district in-charge Minister Madhu Bangarappa told reporters, "I have not got an invitation officially, there is some confusion. I feel that the Chief Minister has been disrespected by the central government...."

Sagara Congress MLA Belur Gopalakrishna said he too has not got any invitation and has no information.

He also hit out at Shivamogga BJP MP B Y Raghavendra for making it a party event.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.

Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.

Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.

“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.

“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.

Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.

“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.

The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.

The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.

Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.

Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.