Mysuru (PTI):  Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Monday asserted that the Congress government in the state will remain "as solid as a rock" for five years and maintained that he and Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar share good terms.

He also hit out at BJP leaders for claiming he would not inaugurate the world-famous Mysuru Dasara celebrations this year, calling them "experts in lying."

These remarks come amid renewed speculation about a possible leadership change in Karnataka later this year.

"This government will be as solid as a 'bande' (rock) for five years," Siddaramaiah told reporters, with Shivakumar—often referred to as 'bande' by his supporters—by his side.

Asked whether he and Shivakumar were on good terms, Siddaramaiah replied, "We are on good terms". He then held and raised Shivakumar's hand as a sign of unity.

To a question on attempts to create a rift between them, he said, "We don’t listen to what others say." Shivakumar nodded in agreement.

When asked about BJP leaders claiming he would not be the Chief Minister to inaugurate the Mysuru Dasara celebrations this year, Siddaramaiah turned the question to the media. When reporters said they believed he would inaugurate the event as CM, he quipped, "Then fine."

"BJP leaders are experts in lying. Sriramulu, who made this claim, has lost how many times? He lost both the Parliament and the Assembly elections. How can someone who keeps losing predict the future?" he asked.

Speculation over leadership change has resurfaced after Congress MLA H A Iqbal Hussain claimed that Shivakumar may get an opportunity to become Chief Minister in two to three months, while Cooperation Minister K N Rajanna hinted at "revolutionary" political developments in the state after September.

Talks of a power-sharing agreement between Siddaramaiah and Shivakumar had been doing the rounds for some time but had subsided following clear instructions from the party high command.

Meanwhile, Congress General Secretary in charge of Karnataka, Randeep Singh Surjewala, is visiting the state and will hold separate meetings with party legislators.

Asked about Surjewala's visit, Siddaramaiah said, "He is the AICC in-charge General Secretary. He will seek opinions from MLAs, hear their concerns, and discuss what needs to be done to strengthen the organisation. He will do his job."

 

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.

Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.

Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.

“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.

“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.

Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.

“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.

The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.

The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.

Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.

Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.