Bengaluru: Amid growing dissent within the ruling party, the Congress High Command has decided to intervene directly to address discontent among its legislators. Party General Secretary and Karnataka in-charge Randeep Singh Surjewala is scheduled to arrive in Bengaluru on Monday to hold one-on-one discussions with Congress MLAs.
This development comes just days after the state government completed two years in office. Several legislators and ministers have recently raised concerns over issues such as power-sharing, centralization of decision-making, the so-called “September Revolution,” and even the possibility of a change in leadership — all of which have caused significant embarrassment to both the government and the party.
Earlier, during Chief Minister Siddaramaiah's recent visit to New Delhi, senior party leaders had reportedly advised him to rein in lawmakers from making statements that could damage the party’s image. However, the continued airing of grievances in public has prompted the High Command to take more decisive action.
Surjewala’s office has directly contacted the MLAs and shared his meeting schedule. Dissatisfied legislators are expected to present their concerns and complaints during these individual sessions.
Among those likely to meet Surjewala are senior MLA B.R. Patil, who alleged that housing department benefits were being given only to those who paid bribes; Raju Kage, who raised the issue of lack of development funds; and N.Y. Gopalakrishna, along with several other disgruntled lawmakers.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.
Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.
Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.
“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.
“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.
“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.
The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.
The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.
Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.
Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.
