Mysuru: The Mysuru District Principal Sessions and Special KCOCA Court on Saturday dismissed a petition filed by Bantwal Police seeking an extension of time to complete the investigation under the Karnataka Control of Organised Crimes Act (KCOCA) in the Abdul Rahiman murder case of May 27, registered against 14 accused including Bharat Kumdel.
The accused in the case, Sumith B, Deepak, V. Raviraj Moolya, Prithviraj Jogi, Chintan, Abhin Rai, Tejaksha, Shivaprasad Tumbe, Pradeep, Shahith, Sachin, Ranjith and Ravisanjay, had earlier been arrested by Bantwal Rural Police. After interrogation, a chargesheet was filed before the Bantwal JMFC Court. Bharat Kumdel, one of the accused, had been absconding.
While the trial was underway before the Second Additional District Court in Mangaluru, Kumdel later surrendered in connection with another case. Police subsequently took him into custody and sought permission to conduct further investigation under KCOCA against all 14 accused. As Mysuru houses the designated special KCOCA court, the matter was transferred there.
The court had granted 12 days’ police custody for interrogation. Recently, the police filed a petition seeking additional time for investigation. Defence counsel opposed the plea, arguing that under KCOCA, police are required to seek an extension within 90 days, and the application had been filed beyond the permissible period.
After hearing both sides, Principal District and Sessions Judge Usha Rani dismissed the police petition seeking an extension and ordered that the case be transferred back to the Second Additional District Court, Mangaluru. The accused were directed to be produced before that court on December 2.
The accused were represented by advocates C. V. Keshavamurthy, Mahesh Kaje, Prasad Kumar Rai and P. J. Raghavendra.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Bengaluru (PTI): A 69-year-old woman was allegedly murdered and robbed of her gold ornaments at her residence on the city’s outskirts while her paralysed husband was present, police said Thursday.
The incident occurred on Pete Street in Nelamangala, where Shobha lived with her husband, who is paralysed and bedridden, police said.
For the past decade, she had been the sole caregiver for her husband. The couple had no children and lived a secluded life, according to police.
A video from the scene showed the woman lying in a pool of blood, with her husband beside her on the same bed, they said.
The accused, Shivakumar, a wholesale shop owner who has been arrested in the case, allegedly targeted her to clear a debt of Rs 8 lakh, police said.
The crime came to light on Wednesday evening when her husband’s physiotherapist arrived for a scheduled session. Upon finding Shobha’s lifeless body in a pool of blood, the doctor immediately alerted the local authorities, police officials said.
According to police, at approximately 4 pm on the day of the incident, the accused, Shivakumar, a resident of the same locality, noticed Shobha wearing gold jewellery. He allegedly followed her to her residence with a premeditated plan.
Shivakumar entered the house under the guise of being thirsty, asking Shobha for a glass of water. Once inside, and believing she was alone, he attacked her. When Shobha attempted to resist, the accused allegedly slit her throat, a senior police officer said.
After the murder, Shivakumar fled the scene with more than 100 grams of gold jewellery worn by the victim, police said.
By analysing CCTV footage from the surrounding area, police identified Shivakumar and tracked him down, they added.
