Bengaluru: Karnataka on Wednesday reported 784 new cases of COVID-19 and 6 related fatalities, taking the total number of infections to 9,24,137 and the death toll to 12,124.
The day also saw 1,238 patients getting discharged after recovery.
A total of over 1,47,88,491 samples have been tested so far, out of which 1,34,173 were tested on Wednesday alone, and 11,136 among them were rapid antigen tests.
Out of the 784 fresh cases reported today, 437 were from Bengaluru Urban alone.
As of January 6 evening, cumulatively 9,24,137 COVID-19 positive cases have been confirmed in the state, which includes 12,124 deaths and 9,02,817 discharges, the Health Department said in its bulletin.
It said, out of 9,177 active cases, 8,967 patients are in isolation at designated hospitals and stable, while 210 are in ICU.
Out of the 6 deaths reported on Wednesday, 3 are from Bengaluru Urban, and one each from Bengaluru Rural, Dharwad, and Tumakuru.
Among the districts where the new cases were reported, Bengaluru Urban accounted for 437, followed by Dakshina Kannada 42, Chikkaballapura 30, Bengaluru Rural 25, Hassan and Kolar 24, Mysuru 22, followed by others.
Bengaluru Urban district tops the list of positive cases, with a total of 3,90,785, followed by Mysuru 52,640 and Ballari 38,930.
Among discharges too, Bengaluru Urban tops the list with 3,80,769, followed by Mysuru 51,305 and Ballari 38,205.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Lakhimpur Kheri (UP) (PTI): Ten people were killed when a van collided head-on with a truck on the Sisaiya-Lakhimpur national highway on Monday, police said.
The van was going to Sisaiya from Lakhimpur when the accident took place between Unchgaon and Bharehta villages.
Circle Officer of Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh, said all nine passengers travelling in the van and the driver were killed.
District Magistrate of Lakhimpur Kheri Anjani Kumar Singh told reporters that the van collided with a truck coming from the opposite direction, leading to nine casualties on the spot, while one succumbed to injuries at the district hospital.
Circle Officer, Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh told PTI, "Efforts are on to establish the identity of other deceased persons."
The seven of the deceased have been identified as Jaideep Singh (25), Pawan (23), Sohan (21), Ram Goyal (42), Sahajram (35), Pappu (18), all residents of Bahraich district and Adnan Khan (15), a resident of Lakhimpur Kheri district, police said.
Condoling the loss of lives in the accident, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in a post on X, said, "The loss of life in the unfortunate road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply distressing and heart-wrenching. My condolences are with the bereaved families."
"I have directed the local administration to provide prompt and adequate assistance to the injured and the victims. I pray to Lord Shri Ram to grant the departed souls a place at His divine feet and to bestow a speedy recovery upon the injured," Adityanath said on X.
Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya and Brajesh Pathak too condoled the loss of lives in the accident.
"The loss of lives resulting from the road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply tragic and heart-wrenching. My deepest condolences go out to the bereaved families," Maurya said.
