Bengaluru: Cybercriminals used more than 65,000 mule bank accounts from Karnataka in 2024 to funnel illicit funds, according to data from the Indian Cybercrime Coordination Centre (I4C), an agency under the Ministry of Home Affairs.
The data, which was cited by Deccan Herald on Monday, indicates that these accounts form only the first layer of fraudster accounts, and the actual numbers may be far higher. The first layer refers to the initial accounts that victims are tricked into transferring their money to, at the behest of cyber fraudsters.
Mule accounts play a crucial role in the operation of cybercrimes by acting as intermediaries between the victim’s bank account and the scammer’s account. These accounts are often created, rented, or purchased by cybercrooks.
Karnataka ranked fifth among Indian states for the number of first-layer mule accounts. It trailed behind Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Haryana, and Uttar Pradesh, the report added.
Investigators have pointed to negligence by banks as one of the primary reasons behind the proliferation of mule accounts. Despite technological advancements, many banks lack robust monitoring systems to track suspicious accounts and transactions effectively.
"Banks have the responsibility of monitoring suspicious accounts and transactions, but they are often compromised. There is no proper existing system for monitoring such things in many banks, despite technological advancements," DH quoted an Assistant Commissioner of Police-rank investigator as saying.
Furthermore, there are growing concerns about the potential leakage of customer data by bank employees. The officer added the bank representatives not only give out contact information of people but also give details of gullible individuals holding bank accounts with no activity.
These accounts become prime targets for fraudsters, who approach the account holders to buy or rent them for use in scams.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.
Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.
Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.
“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.
“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.
“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.
The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.
The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.
Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.
Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.
