Raichur: A video showing doctors at the Primary Health Centre (PHC) in Hutti Gold Mines town of Lingasugur taluk performing a delivery under the light of a mobile phone torch has gone viral, raising questions about the condition of healthcare facilities in government hospitals.
According to reports, several hospitals in the taluk, including the Lingasugur facility, receive free solar power supply from Selco’s electricity unit. However, some of these units have reportedly been out of service for months without repair. Due to this, when a woman developed labour pains recently, doctors were forced to rely on mobile torchlight during the procedure.
A video clip of a doctor and a nurse attending to the patient under torchlight reached Vartha Bharati, our correspondent spoke with Lingasugur Taluk Health Officer Dr. Amaresh. He confirmed that the solar power unit staff had informed Selco about the breakdown but repairs had not been carried out. “It was an emergency, so the staff had no option but to proceed using mobile torchlight,” he said.
The PHC medical officer added that although the hospital has an inverter, it was not in working condition since solar power had been in use. He confirmed that the woman was later shifted to Lingasugur Taluk Hospital for further care.
Local residents, including relatives of patients, have accused hospital authorities of negligence and raised concerns that around 20 nearby villages are being deprived of basic medical facilities. They have demanded a probe into the matter and called for accountability from both the health department and Selco for failing to maintain the solar power units.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Sukma (PTI): As many as 22 Naxalites surrendered in Chhattisgarh's Sukma district on Tuesday, police said.
The cadres, including a woman, turned themselves in before senior police and CRPF officials here under the `Poona Margem' (New Dawn) rehabilitation scheme of the government, Sukma Superintendent of Police Kiran Chavan said.
The Maoists' influence is steadily declining in the district due to the ongoing anti-Naxal operations, establishment of new security camps and the increased reach of development projects, he said.
The District Reserve Guard (DRG) Sukma, District Force Sukma, Range Field Team (RFT) Jagdalpur and the Central Reserve Police Force played a key role in encouraging the Naxalites to surrender, the SP said.
The surrendered Naxalites were provided an assistance of Rs 50,000 each and will be further rehabilitated as per the government's policy, he added.
More than 1,500 Naxalites surrendered in the state in 2025.
The Centre has resolved to eliminate Naxalism from the country by March 31, 2026.
