Bengaluru (PTI): Hoping for a transparent probe by the SIT into allegations of mass burials in Dharmasthala in Dakshina Kannada district, Karnataka BJP President B Y Vijayendra on Wednesday urged the state government to "stop attempts to destroy the atmosphere and the system" there using the issue.

The government has constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT) headed by Pronab Mohanty, Director General of Police (Internal Security Division), which consists of Deputy Inspector General of Police (Recruitment) M N Anucheth and IPS officers Soumyalatha S K and Jitendra Kumar Dayama.

"The state government has formed an SIT, the investigation has to happen at the earliest. It is the wish of everyone that there has to be a transparent probe and the truth should come out. But the government should also take note and stop the attempts to destroy the atmosphere and the system there, using this issue, and the false propaganda that is happening," Vijayendra told reporters.

"We too are aware of the conspiracies behind it. If any attempts are made to destroy the system there keeping this issue, we will think about what to do further."

The SIT was consituted following claims about alleged mass murder, rape, and mass burials in Dharmasthala, over the past two decades.

A former sanitation worker, whose identity has not been revealed, has alleged that he worked in Dharmasthala between 1995 and 2014, and that he was forced to bury a number of bodies, including those of women and minors, in Dharmasthala.

He had alleged that some of the bodies showed signs of sexual assault. He has also given a statement before a magistrate in this regard.

 

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Pallekele (PTI): Senior Australia batter Steve Smith was on Monday approved as replacement for the injured pacer Josh Hazlewood, hours before his side's must-win T20 World Cup match against Sri Lanka here.

Smith thus becomes the 15th member of the injury-hit Australia squad.

"Smith is named as a replacement for Hazlewood, who is now officially ruled out from participating in the tournament due to a calf injury. The team’s medical staff had hoped to have him fit in time to feature in the latter parts of the tournament but were unsuccessful," the ICC said in statement.

Smith had earlier been flown to Sri Lanka as cover for skipper Mitchell Marsh, who missed Australia's opening two matches due to a testicular injury.

The veteran batter trained with the squad on Sunday and is in contention to feature in the crucial clash.

Smith has not played a T20I since February last year but has been in good form in the format in domestic competitions.

In positive signs for the 2021 champions, Marsh too has returned to training. The skipper batted in the nets while also taking part in running and fielding drills on Sunday.

Australia’s World Cup campaign is hanging in the balance following their 23-run defeat to Zimbabwe, and they must beat Sri Lanka on Monday to avoid an early exit.