Bengaluru: Retired Supreme Court Justice Gopal Gowda has demanded the formation of a Special Investigation Team (SIT) under the supervision of a sitting or retired High Court/Supreme Court judge to probe the shocking allegations of mass rapes, murders, and body disposals in Dharmasthala village of Belthangady taluk, Dakshina Kannada district.

Addressing the media at the Press Club in Bengaluru on Thursday, Justice Gowda said the complainant, who has recorded his statement before a magistrate, is still facing police pressure. He alleged that investigators are coercing the whistleblower to mark burial sites on a blank sheet of paper and that crucial information is being leaked to private individuals.

He expressed concern that despite the complainant informing both police and the court about the location of the buried remains, the police have not visited the site. “This raises serious doubts about the intention behind the current investigation,” he said.

Justice Gowda urged the state to immediately remove the current team and form a new SIT headed by a police officer of ADGP rank, monitored by a sitting or retired judge of the higher judiciary. He also warned that the Home Minister and Director General of Police would be held responsible if any harm comes to the complainant or his legal counsel, who he said are receiving threats.

Senior advocate C.S. Dwarakanath, who was also present, pointed out that under Section 183 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS), the complainant’s statement is legally admissible evidence. He said the fact that these sensitive statements are being leaked is a grave concern. “We’ve already written to the Home Minister urging him to take immediate steps to stop these leaks,” he added.

Other lawyers present at the press conference included Balu, Dr. C.S. Dwarakanath, Umapati, and Sudha Katwa.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.

Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.

Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.

“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.

“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.

Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.

“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.

The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.

The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.

Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.

Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.