Bengaluru: An engineering student identified as Jeevan Gowda, 22,  was brought before a court, booked under Section 64 (rape) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita and sent into judicial custody after allegedly raping his senior on a private college campus in Bengaluru.

The incident took place on October 10, as recorded by in the complaint. The survivor, a seventh-semester student, alleged that Gowda who is a fifth-semester student in the same college, lured her to the seventh floor near the architecture block during lunch break. On the pretext of wanting to speak privately, he tried to kiss her which she resisted, he allegedly followed her when she tried to leave in a lift. Gowda dragged her to the men’s toilet on the sixth floor and sexually assaulted her. After the incident, the accused allegedly called the survivor and asked if she needed a pill, as reported by ANI

An investigating officer said, “He forcibly took her to the men’s restroom and committed the assault. He also snatched her mobile phone when it rang, during the incident.”

Police sources confirmed that the survivor confided in her friends and informed her parents, after five days. She was in shock and hesitant in reporting the matter immediately. Her parents accompanied her to file a complaint at Hanumanthanagar police station on October 15.

Investigators have begun collecting forensic evidence; though no CCTV footage was available from the floor where the incident occurred has posed a challenge to the inquiry.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Fugitive businessman Vijay Mallya, facing multiple cases of fraud and money laundering, told the Bombay High Court on Wednesday that he cannot say when he will return to India as he is legally barred from leaving the UK.

In a statement submitted through his counsel Amit Desai to the high court, Mallya said he did not have an active passport after it was revoked and hence, he cannot give a definite date of return to India.

The statement was submitted after a bench of Chief Justice Shree Chandrashekhar and Justice Gautam Ankhad made it clear last week that it would not hear Mallya's plea against the order declaring a fugitive economic offender until he returns to India.

The court had then asked the former liquor to clarify whether or not he intended to return to India.

Mallya, based in the United Kingdom since 2016, has filed two petitions in the HC -- one challenging an order declaring him a fugitive economic offender and the other questioning the constitutional validity of the Fugitive Economic Offenders Act.

The 70-year-old liquor baron is accused of defaulting on multiple loan repayments of several thousand crores and facing money laundering charges.

The businessman, in his statement to HC, said he cannot give a definite date for his return as he does not have his Indian passport, which was revoked by the government in 2016, and also because there are orders of courts in England and Wales that prohibit him from leaving the country.

"Mallya is not permitted to leave or attempt to leave England and Wales or apply for or be in possession of any international travel document. In any event, the petitioner is unable to precisely state when he will return to India," Desai read out the statement in the court.

The senior counsel reiterated that Mallya's presence was not required in the country for the court to hear his pleas against the fugitive tag and the provisions of the Act.

"If he (Mallya) were to appear in India, then all these proceedings would be rendered irrelevant as the statute says that once the offender appears in the concerned court of law, then all these orders would be set aside," Desai told the court.

The bench directed the Union government to file its reply to Mallya's statement and posted the matter for further hearing next month.

Mallya was declared a Fugitive Economic Offender in January 2019 by a special court hearing cases under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).

The businessman left India in March 2016.