Bengaluru, Jul 12 (PTI): Former Lok Sabha member D K Suresh on Saturday clarified that his brother and Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar is neither in a hurry nor under pressure regarding the CM post.
He made the remarks against the backdrop of Chief Minister Siddaramaiah's recent assertion that he would complete his full five-year tenure.
"D K Shivakumar is neither in a hurry (to become CM) nor under any pressure," Suresh told reporters here.
Earlier, it had been speculated that Shivakumar, who is also the Congress state president and considered a key contender for the top post in the state, would take over the chief minister's role midway in the present regime.
Responding to queries, Suresh said, "There is no conflict in the Congress party. The high command, the chief minister and Shivakumar have already clarified the matter. Siddaramaiah has said he will continue in leadership. Yet we don't know why there is confusion in the media."
He added that Shivakumar is sincerely carrying out the responsibilities given to him and working in accordance with the party's direction.
"At present, the chief minister's post is not vacant. We don't know why this issue is being discussed repeatedly," Suresh said.
He added that Shivakumar is a loyal party worker who respects the Congress high command.
There was stiff competition between Siddaramaiah and Shivakumar for the chief minister’s post after the declaration of Assembly election results in May 2023, and the Congress had managed to convince the latter and made him the Deputy CM.
There were some reports at the time that a compromise had been reached based on a "rotational chief minister formula" according to which Shivakumar will become CM after two-and-half years, but they have not been officially confirmed by the party.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.
Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.
Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.
“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.
“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.
“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.
The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.
The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.
Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.
Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.
