Bengaluru, Jan 8: Karnataka BJP General Secretary Sunil Kumar on Wednesday termed Karnataka state government facilitating the surrender of a group of six Maoists, as a "package" to convert forest Naxals into urban Naxals.
A group of six Maoists will surrender before Chief Minister Siddaramaiah here this evening, expressing their intention to return to the mainstream, giving up the armed struggle, official sources said.
Those who are expected to surrender are: Mundagaru Latha, Sundari Kuthlur, Vanajakshi Balehole, and Mareppa Aroli of Karnataka, K Vasanth of Tamil Nadu, and Jeesha of Kerala, sources said.
"Government's move of providing a package for Naxals to surrender is a worrying development. These Naxals sounded the noise of bullets in the Malnad (western ghats) region that was peaceful, in the name of struggle. The civilised society has to question this move of Siddaramaiah government. The government that has withdrawn cases against PFI is now providing an opportunity for Naxals to surrender, this is dangerous," Kumar told reporters.
Pointing out that Naxals are surrendenting a week after CM Siddaramaiah appealed to them, he asked, "Is Siddaramaiah close to Naxals, or those close to Naxals are close to Siddaramaiah?"
"This is a package to convert forest Naxals into urban Naxals. This cannot be called a surrender package. Naxals were feeling abandoned, with people or society living in and around the forests not supporting their thinking, and they had no other choice. Siddaramaiah government has now given them a ray of hope," he added.
According to officials, the surrender is arranged following the efforts of the state government's committee to oversee the implementation of the rehabilitation policy to assimilate/surrender left-wing extremists.
The CM had recently appealed to the Naxalites (Maoists) involved in violent activities to surrender and join the democratic mainstream. He had then said that the government had already formulated a surrender policy for Naxals, adding that this policy will be simplified and effectively implemented.
The surrender came following Maoist leader Vikram Gowda's killing in an encounter with the Anti-Naxal Force at Peetabailu village in Hebri in Udupi district on November 18, 2024.
Kumar said, at the time when the central government is working towards making India free from Left Wing Extremism (LWE) by March 2026 and when the Naxals are losing ground, the state's Congress government is providing a package for their surrender, which creates suspicion.
This move will cause a setback and demoralise the Anti-Naxal Force (ANF) that is fighting Naxals for several years now combing the forests day and night, he said, highlighting that Naxlas who have indulged in violence, have all of a sudden come forward to surrender after Maosit leader Vikram Gowda's encounter.
"We are opposed to providing them money for surrender...win the hearts of the people through development, rather than providing packages for surrender of Naxals. Government should re-examine this. If they (Naxals) want to surrender, let them surrender before courts and whatever the court decides, we too will accept it," he said.
Responding to a question on Naxals' demand and government's promise, Home Minister G Parameshwara earlier today said, "I can only say they are surrendering; I cannot share other details, such as their demands and what we have promised. I will share them later."
ರಾಷ್ಟ್ರಕವಿ ಕುವೆಂಪು ಅವರ ಕರ್ಮಭೂಮಿ ಆಗಿದ್ದ ತಣ್ಣಗಿನ ಮಲೆನಾಡಲ್ಲಿ ಬಂದೂಕಿನ ಮೊರೆತ ಕೇಳಿಸಿದ ನಕ್ಸಲರಿಗೆ ಕ್ಷಮೆ ಕೊಟ್ಟು ಅವರನ್ನು ನಗರ ನಕ್ಸಲರಾಗಿಸಿ ಬುಡಮೇಲು ಕೃತ್ಯಕ್ಕೆ ಲೈಸೆನ್ಸ್ ಕೊಡುತ್ತೀರಾ @siddaramaiah ನವರೇ?ಇದರಿಂದ ಪೊಲೀಸರ ಆತ್ಮ ಸ್ಥೈರ್ಯ ಏನಾಗಬೇಡ?ಈ ಶರಣಾಗತಿ ಪ್ರಹಸನವೇ ಅನುಮಾನಾಸ್ಪದವಾಗಿದೆ 2/2@DrParameshwara
— Sunil Kumar Karkala (@karkalasunil) January 8, 2025
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Chennai (PTI): Afghanistan skipper Rashid Khan called for more bilateral series against stronger cricketing nations after his team signed off from the T20 World Cup on a high, defeating Canada in their final group match here on Thursday.
Afghanistan played some exhilarating cricket, going down to South Africa in a gripping second Super Over after the scores were tied, a humdinger that provided one of the early thrills of the World Cup.
However, the spin-bowling stalwart said Afghanistan could make significant strides if they get regular opportunities to compete against stronger cricketing nations.
"Couple of areas to improve, with the batting, the middle order got a bit stuck against the big teams, and then with the bowling the death overs. That comes when you play the bigger teams in bilateral series," said Rashid after his team defeat Canada by 82 runs, with him returning excellent figures of 2 for 19.
The stalwart said the side had arrived well prepared for the tournament and produced some breathtaking cricket, but admitted the narrow defeat to South Africa proved costly and remained a painful setback.
"We were well-prepared (for the tournament), we played some unbelievable cricket. The game against South Africa, that really hurt everyone. We had to win one of those (first two) games and see how the tournament unfolded. We'll take some positive things from this World Cup and look forward," he said.
With head coach Jonathan Trott set to part ways with the team, Rashid described the departure as an "emotional" moment for the side.
"I think we had some wonderful times with him. Where we are now, he played a main role. It's emotional to see him leave us, but that's how life is. We wish him all the best and somewhere down the line we see him again."
Ibrahim Zadran, who was named Player of the Match for his unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, said it was satisfying to finally register a substantial score after two below-par outings.
"I enjoyed it, didn't play better cricket in first two innings, which I expect. Wanted to back my skills, really enjoyed it. Pressure was there, it's there all the time. I want to put myself in pressure situations and enjoy it," said Zadran.
"Wanted to play positive cricket, rotate strike and punish bad ball, create partnerships and this is what I have done."
