Kalaburagi: Former Aland MLA Subhash Guttedar has accused sitting Congress MLA B.R. Patil of making false allegations of vote rigging against him in an attempt to get closer to Congress leader Rahul Gandhi and secure a ministerial position in the state cabinet.

Speaking at a press conference in Kalaburagi, Guttedar said, “B.R. Patil had earlier accused me of being involved in 23 murders. However, the truth has since come out, proving I had no connection whatsoever. These baseless allegations are only to impress the high command and gain a ministerial post.”

Responding to recent allegations, Guttedar explained that in preparation for Deepavali, his domestic workers had cleaned his house and burned old papers and documents. “As a politician, it’s natural to have voter lists and pamphlets at home. If I were truly trying to destroy evidence, would I burn it right in front of my house? Anyone doing something illegal would dispose of it far away,” he remarked.

Taking a swipe at the Congress MLA, Guttedar alleged that B.R. Patil had failed to hoist the flag on Liberation Day and that no major development work had taken place in the Aland constituency under his leadership. “When the Chief Minister visited our district for the Kalyana Karnataka Utsav, Patil went to Delhi instead—to please Rahul Gandhi,” he said.

Guttedar stated that he is ready to fully cooperate with any investigation into the alleged vote-rigging case. “Even if I have to go to jail, I will fight this legally and ensure that justice is served,” he declared.

Former MP Umesh Jadhav, Avinash Jadhav, Basavaraj Mattimadu, Chandu Patil, Ashok Bagali, Lingaraj Biradar, Mallikarjun Kandagole, and Santosh Hadimani were also present at the press meet.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Fugitive businessman Vijay Mallya, facing multiple cases of fraud and money laundering, told the Bombay High Court on Wednesday that he cannot say when he will return to India as he is legally barred from leaving the UK.

In a statement submitted through his counsel Amit Desai to the high court, Mallya said he did not have an active passport after it was revoked and hence, he cannot give a definite date of return to India.

The statement was submitted after a bench of Chief Justice Shree Chandrashekhar and Justice Gautam Ankhad made it clear last week that it would not hear Mallya's plea against the order declaring a fugitive economic offender until he returns to India.

The court had then asked the former liquor to clarify whether or not he intended to return to India.

Mallya, based in the United Kingdom since 2016, has filed two petitions in the HC -- one challenging an order declaring him a fugitive economic offender and the other questioning the constitutional validity of the Fugitive Economic Offenders Act.

The 70-year-old liquor baron is accused of defaulting on multiple loan repayments of several thousand crores and facing money laundering charges.

The businessman, in his statement to HC, said he cannot give a definite date for his return as he does not have his Indian passport, which was revoked by the government in 2016, and also because there are orders of courts in England and Wales that prohibit him from leaving the country.

"Mallya is not permitted to leave or attempt to leave England and Wales or apply for or be in possession of any international travel document. In any event, the petitioner is unable to precisely state when he will return to India," Desai read out the statement in the court.

The senior counsel reiterated that Mallya's presence was not required in the country for the court to hear his pleas against the fugitive tag and the provisions of the Act.

"If he (Mallya) were to appear in India, then all these proceedings would be rendered irrelevant as the statute says that once the offender appears in the concerned court of law, then all these orders would be set aside," Desai told the court.

The bench directed the Union government to file its reply to Mallya's statement and posted the matter for further hearing next month.

Mallya was declared a Fugitive Economic Offender in January 2019 by a special court hearing cases under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).

The businessman left India in March 2016.