Tumakuru (Karnataka), Jun 30 (PTI): Four members of a family, including a 13-year-old boy, have died after the car they were travelling in allegedly collided head-on with a speeding mini truck on the bypass near Kunigal in this district, police said on Monday.
The deceased have been identified as Seebe Gowda (50), his wife Shobha (45), daughter Dumbishree (23), and son Bhanukiran (13), they said.
According to police, the accident occurred at around 8 pm on Sunday when the family was on their way to drop their son Bhanukiran, a class 8 student at Valley School, to his hostel near Bidanagere on the outskirts of Kunigal.
Gowda lived with his family in Magadi town. He, along with his family, was travelling together after dinner to drop the boy back at his school hostel.
On the way, when they reached the Kunigal bypass, a speeding Canter truck coming from the wrong side on a one-way road had a head-on collision, a senior police officer said.
The car was also speeding, and the impact of the accident was so severe that all four passengers in the car died on the spot, he said.
The driver of the mini truck has been booked under relevant sections of Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita and arrested, the officer added.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.
Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.
Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.
“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.
“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.
“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.
The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.
The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.
Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.
Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.
