Belagavi (Karnataka), Jun 30 (PTI): Four people have been arrested for allegedly "assaulting" five members of the Sri Ram Sene by tying them to a tree in Ingali village, police said on Monday.
A video of the incident, which took place in Hukkeri taluk on June 28, has gone viral on social media, prompting police to register a case on their own.
The video shows five men tied to a coconut tree and being "thrashed" by a group of villagers. Sri Ram Sene members claimed they were attacked for stopping the illegal transportation of cattle.
However, villagers alleged the assault was unrelated to cattle transportation and accused the activists of "misbehaving with women".
According to police, on June 26, Sri Ram Sene members intercepted a vehicle carrying cattle and took the driver and vehicle to the Hukkeri police station, alleging the cattle were being transported for slaughter.
The cattle were moved to a cow shelter but were returned to the locals on June 28 after authorities confirmed they had been purchased for dairy farming.
Later that day, Sri Ram Sene members allegedly trespassed into a villager's house in an attempt to reclaim the cattle and created a "ruckus". At the time, only women were present, police said, without providing more details about them.
Superintendent of Police Bheemashankar S Guled said the villagers "assaulted" the activists as they were angered by the trespassing incident.
"This act by the villagers is a violation of law and order. However, the victims are not entirely innocent—one of them is a rowdy-sheeter who had been externed from the district," he alleged.
Guled also dismissed claims that "the assault was communal".
"One of the accused is a Hindu. This doesn’t appear to be a case of communal violence," Guled added.
Denying allegations of police 'inaction', Guled said, "We registered a case on our own and arrested four people for the assault. Another case was filed based on a complaint from the cattle transporter. Further investigation is underway."
Belagavi, Karnataka: SP Bhimashankar Guled addressed the assault on Sri Ram Sena activists in Ingali village. Four arrests were made. Both sides filed statements; FIR filed for unlawful entry. Police deny ignoring complaints amid extortion allegations pic.twitter.com/KiPMcUg3DI
— IANS (@ians_india) June 30, 2025
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.
Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.
Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.
“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.
“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.
“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.
The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.
The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.
Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.
Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.
