Bengaluru (PTI): Enforcement officers of the Karnataka Food Safety and Drug Administration department have suspended 133 drug licences and cancelled 20 drug licences in June for violations of the provisions of the Drugs and Cosmetics Act, officials have said.
The move was initiated after the officials concerned conducted 2,544 inspections over the last month, they said.
According to the department, drug-testing laboratories in Bengaluru, Hubballi and Ballari analysed 1,333 samples in June. Among those, 1,292 samples were declared as "Standard Quality" and 41 as "Not of Standard Quality".
From April to June, the enforcement officers filed a total of 81 cases in courts against firms that violated the provisions of the Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940 and the Rules thereunder, the department said.
The department has ensured that "Not of Standard Quality" drugs worth more than Rs 40 lakh were recalled from the market and seized.
A special drive was conducted across the blood centres in the state and a total of 122 such centres were inspected.
"Based on the various violations observed, show-cause notices were issued to 44 blood centres and compliance letters were issued to 80 blood centres," the department said in a statement issued on Friday.
According to the statement, in compliance with the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, food safety, quality and hygiene aspects were inspected across the state, covering 1,557 street-food vendors, in June.
Notices were issued to 406 establishments where violations were identified and fines totalling Rs 44,500 were imposed on the spot, the statement added.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.
Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.
Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.
“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.
“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.
“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.
The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.
The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.
Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.
Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.
