Bengaluru, Jun 28 (PTI): As this year’s Vijayadashami coincides with Gandhi Jayanti, Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Saturday directed officials that tableaux prepared for the Mysuru Dasara celebrations must reflect Mahatma Gandhi’s ideals.
He said Gandhi’s philosophy should be suitably represented alongside the government’s welfare schemes and achievements.
"This year Dasara is falling on Gandhi Jayanti on October 2. So I have instructed officials that Dasara should be celebrated in a manner that makes Gandhi Jayanti meaningful. Especially the tableaux should reflect Gandhi’s ideals," the CM told reporters.
Siddaramaiah briefed reporters after presiding over a high-level committee meeting at Vidhana Soudha on the preparations for Dasara-2025.
The CM said the historical and cultural significance of the festival should not be overshadowed by sheer extravagance.
He emphasised that unnecessary spending does not amount to grandeur and that public safety and convenience must be the top priority.
"This year, Dasara will begin on September 22 and culminate with the Jamboo Savari on October 2, making it an 11-day event instead of the usual 10," the CM said.
He emphasised that the programmes should be designed to uphold the rich cultural, religious, and historical traditions of the Mysuru Dasara, which is globally renowned.
He stated that while Rs 40 crore was allocated last year, adequate funds will be provided this year as well to organise a grand celebration.
He asked departments to plan meaningful exhibitions and displays to showcase government initiatives and guarantee schemes in a way that connects with the public.
He also called for people-centric policies to be effectively communicated during the festivities.
With more than 10 lakh people expected to attend, including foreign tourists, the CM directed officials to give the utmost attention to crowd management and safety measures.
He said police personnel must be people-friendly and law and order should be maintained without any lapses.
The number of seats in front of the Mysore Palace will be reduced this time to manage crowding during the Jamboo Savari. Officials were asked to ensure that there is no overcrowding at any of the programme venues.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.
Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.
Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.
“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.
“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.
“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.
The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.
The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.
Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.
Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.
