Bengaluru: The legal team defending the main accused in the Gauri Lankesh murder case seem to be preparing for a long, protracted battle. They have filed a petition against four magistrates of the Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM) courts who presided over the proceedings of the cases and alleged lapses on their part in following the Supreme Court guidelines. They have been accused of dereliction of duty and acting with a strong bias against their clients, mainly Amol Kale, Suchith Kumar, Amit Degwekar and Manohar Edave – who are among the main suspects arrested in connection with plotting and executing Gauri Lankesh’s murder. These men are also implicated for the foiled murder attempt on KS Bhagwan, a Kannada writer. The high court is expected to take up the matter for hearing on Monday.
This petition comes after the one filed in the high court alleging police torture.
“As per the apex court guidelines, if the accused say before the court that he was ill-treated and assaulted by the police after his arrest, then there are specific procedures that need to be followed to ensure basic justice. We had earlier written to the registrar general of the high court demanding departmental action against these magistrates,” said NP Amruthesh, HC lawyer representing the petitioners.
The four magistrates mentioned by name in the petition are – Somasekhara, presiding officer of Vth ACMM court, V Prakash, presiding officer of III ACMM court, Jagadessh, presiding officer of Ist ACMM court and Mala, presiding officer of 44th ACMM court. The petitioners have claimed that as per law, the magistrates should have referred their clients to the district medical officer for physical examination and medical treatment since they had alleged physical torture before them in open court. However, Amruthesh has alleged that these magistrates did not record it in the order in violation of their official responsibility. The writ petition was filed on June 22.
“The writ petitions have been filed and it is under the scrutiny of the High Court at the moment,” said Virendra Ichalkaranjikar, President, Hindu Vidhidnya Parishad, which is representing the accused.
Apart from the four magistrates, the registrar general of the high court, state government, state and national human rights commissions have also been made respondents in the petition. Sources connected with the case pointed out that the petition could adversely affect the judicial officers as its final outcome might have a direct bearing on their promotion and career records apart from prolonging the
judicial process in the murder case.
Amol Kale, one of the main accused in the Gauri Lankesh murder case who is being projected as the mastermind, told the court last month that he was physically assaulted by the SIT members. Similar allegations have also been made against the Cottonpet police where the KS Bhagwan case was being investigated. Sources also pointed out that more writ petitions are expected in the coming days against the SIT and the concerned officials as Suresh Kumal L (36), another key accused in the Gauri case, had alleged before the court last week that he was also slapped and assaulted by the SIT officials.
courtesy : bangaloremirror.indiatimes.com
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): Parliament early Friday passed the contentious Waqf (Amendment) Bill, 2025, after it was approved by the Rajya Sabha.
The Lok Sabha had on Thursday approved the Bill after over a 12-hour debate.
In Rajya Sabha, the Bill got 128 votes in its favour and 95 against after all the amendments moved by the opposition were rejected.
In the lower house, the bill was supported by 288 MPs while 232 voted against it.
Participating in a debate in the Rajya Sabha, Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju said the Bill was brought with a number of amendments based on suggestions given by various stakeholders.
"The Waqf Board is a statutory body. All government bodies should be secular," the minister said, explaining the inclusion of non-Muslims on the board.
He, however, said the number of non-Muslims has been restricted to only four out of 22.
Rijiju also alleged that the Congress and other opposition parties, and not the BJP, were trying to scare Muslims with the Waqf Bill.
"You (opposition) are pushing Muslims out of the mainstream," he added.
He said for 60 years, the Congress and others ruled the country, but did not do much for Muslims and the community continues to live in poverty.
"Muslims are poor, who is responsible? You (Congress) are. Modi is now leading the government to uplift them," the minister said.
According to the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, Waqf tribunals will be strengthened, a structured selection process will be maintained, and a tenure will be fixed to ensure efficient dispute resolution.
As per the Bill, while Waqf institutions' mandatory contribution to Waqf boards is reduced from 7 per cent to 5 per cent, Waqf institutions earning over Rs 1 lakh will undergo audits by state-sponsored auditors.
A centralised portal will automate Waqf property management, improving efficiency and transparency.
The Bill proposes that practising Muslims (for at least five years) can dedicate their property to the Waqf, restoring pre-2013 rules.
It stipulates that women must receive their inheritance before the Waqf declaration, with special provisions for widows, divorced women and orphans.
The Bill proposes that an officer above the rank of collector investigate government properties claimed as Waqf.
It also proposes that non-Muslim members be included in the central and state Waqf boards for inclusivity.