Bengaluru: Chief Minister Siddaramaiah has stated that the government will not remain silent if anyone takes the law into their own hands, causing trouble for the public. He was responding to recent protests by the Panchamasali community demanding reservations under Category 2A.

While acknowledging the right of the Panchamasali community to protest and seek reservations, Siddaramaiah emphasised that protests should be peaceful and within the boundaries of the law. He stressed that the law applies equally to everyone, including Swamijis, and no one is above it. According to Article 14 of the Constitution, all individuals are equal before the law, and they are entitled to equal protection under it.

Referring to the recent clashes during protests at Suvarna Soudha, the BJP alleged that the police had pelted stones at the Panchamasali community members. However, Siddaramaiah refuted this claim, saying that there is evidence to show that BJP members were responsible for stone-throwing and breaching barricades. He questioned why the Swamijis were sitting on the road and how over 20 police officers would be injured if the protesters did not throw stones.

Siddaramaiah further explained that the Panchamasali community members should approach the Backward Classes Commission for the permanent status of their reservation. He mentioned that during the BJP regime, the then-chairman of the Commission, Jayaprakash Hegde, had recommended that Categories 2A and 2B should remain as they are, with no new additions, and the 4% reservation under Category 2B should not be revoked.

He pointed out that during the BJP's tenure, there were no protests, but now the same BJP is supporting the ongoing struggle. Referring to the Muslim 4% reservation, which was removed, Siddaramaiah noted that during the BJP regime, a 2% reservation for the Okkaligas under Category 3A and Lingayats under Category 3B was provided. This move was questioned in court by a Muslim individual, Rasool, who challenged the changes. Siddaramaiah added that the BJP government had assured that there would be no changes to reservations back then.

The Chief Minister reiterated that the Panchamasali community had previously stated that their protest would be peaceful, but there was an attempt to take the law into their own hands. He clarified that three ministers, including Mahadeveppa, were sent to the protest site to ensure peace.

 

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): The Delhi High Court on Friday asked Jaideep Sengar, brother of Unnao rape case convict Kuldeep Sengar, to surrender before jail authorities in connection with his conviction in the custodial death case of the survivor's father.

A bench of Justices Navin Chawla and Ravinder Dudeja was hearing a plea by the convict for further extension of interim bail upon suspension of the 10-year sentence.

It observed that the interim bail granted to Jaideep Sengar in July 2024 was last extended in April 2025 and since then, in spite of five dates, no order of any further extension or suspension of his sentence has been passed by the court.

As the senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar urged the bench to extend the period of his release on account of his health, the bench said, "You surrender and then we will see."

"Although there is no extension of interim suspension of sentence granted, we find he has still not surrendered. Before we proceed to consider his application for further extension of suspension of sentence, we require the appellant to first surrender," the bench ordered.

The senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar assured the court that he would surrender by Saturday.

The court listed the matter for hearing next week.

Jaideep Sengar, 50, sought the bail extension on the grounds that he is suffering from oral cancer.

The Central Bureau of Investigation's (CBI) counsel had earlier said it was not a fit case for extension of interim bail, and the prescription given by Jaideep Sengar in support of his plea was fabricated.

In his application, Jaideep Sengar said he was suffering from stage IV oral cancer, a life-threatening condition, and had developed clinical signs of recurrence.

The condition, the plea said, required continuous and specialised medical care.

The plea also informed that Jaideep Sengar has spent about four years in custody.

The high court had granted interim bail to Jaideep Sengar on July 3, 2024, for two months on medical grounds.

Kuldeep Sengar was convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for the remainder of his life on December 20, 2019, for raping the minor in 2017.

On March 13, 2020, Kuldeep Sengar, along with Jaideep Sengar, was sentenced to 10 years' rigorous imprisonment by the trial court, which also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh, in the custodial death case of the rape survivor's father.

The survivor's father was arrested, allegedly at the behest of the accused, under the Arms Act and died in custody on April 9, 2018, owing to police brutality.

The trial court said no leniency could be shown for killing a family's sole breadwinner.