Bengaluru: In a major announcement amid ongoing farmer protests, Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Monday declared that the government has decided to completely withdraw the land acquisition process in Devanahalli taluk’s Channarayapatna and surrounding villages.

Speaking at a high-level meeting with government officials and farmer representatives at Vidhana Soudha, followed by a press conference, Siddaramaiah clarified: “The government has decided to completely abandon the land acquisition process. However, some farmers have voluntarily expressed willingness to part with their land. The government will acquire only such land and provide them higher compensation and developed plots in return.”

Siddaramaiah added that willing landowners will be offered compensation higher than the standard guideline value, and those wishing to continue agricultural activities can do so without interference. He emphasised the strategic location of Devanahalli near Bengaluru and the airport, noting the importance of industrial development for increasing incomes across the state.
“For economic development, we need land to establish industries. It is the government’s duty to facilitate this while also respecting the rights of landowners,” he said.
The CM reiterated that no other land in the region will be acquired without farmers’ consent, and praised the democratic protests that led to this decision.

“Such large-scale protests against land acquisition have not been seen before. The land is fertile and crucial for farmers. We have listened to them,” he said.

Notably, the proposed acquisition of 1,777 acres in Devanahalli was intended for a major aerospace park. Siddaramaiah acknowledged the project but stated the government is willing to let it go elsewhere if it means protecting farmers’ rights.

“Even if the industry relocates, the government will stand with farmers,” he affirmed.

Actor and activist Prakash Raj, present at the event, lauded the CM’s stance: “Siddaramaiah has shown that social justice is not just in words but in action.”

Ministers M.B. Patil, K.H. Muniyappa, H.K. Patil, Krishna Byre Gowda, Priyank Kharge, Byrathi Suresh, CM’s political secretary Naseer Ahmed, legal advisor Ponnanna, Advocate General Shashikiran Shetty, and several farmer representatives were present at the meeting.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.

Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.

Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.

“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.

“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.

Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.

“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.

The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.

The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.

Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.

Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.