Bengaluru: Karnataka High Court on Wednesday issued an interim order directing Koppal Town Police not to take coercive action against Vijayapura legislator Basanagouda Patil Yatnal, who is facing charges of making a provocative statement by offering Rs 5 lakh to Hindu youngsters who marry Muslim girls.

Meanwhile Justice MI Arun, who heard the petition, has also asked the MLA to cooperate with the police during the investigation of the case.

On August 10, Yatnal had met the family of Gavisiddappa, a youngster from Bahaddur Bandi Road in Koppal town, who had been allegedly murdered on August 3. Speaking during the visit, the MLA had made the offer, stating that it would be the appropriate response to Muslims who had a penchant for murdering people. He had also accused the state government of belonging to Muslims. Koppal Town Police filed an FIR against Yatnal, based on a complaint by one Abdul Kalam, who accused the legislator of making a provocative statement.

During the hearing on Wednesday, the petitioner’s advocate Venkatesh Dalvayi argued that the law does not prohibit inter-religion marriage and, given that India is a secular nation, the statement cannot be considered criminal merely since some people were not comfortable with it.

The HC bench, which heard the petition filed by Yatnal to quash the FIR, has issued the interim order to the police as well as the petitioner. It has also issued urgent notice to the complainants Qamar Junaid Qureshi, Mainuddin Bilagi and Abdul Kalam before adjourning the hearing.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Nagpur (PTI): A coach of the New Delhi-Chennai Grant Trunk Express caught fire in Maharashtra's Wardha district on Tuesday morning, railway officials said.

There were no casualties, they said.

Train 12616 New Delhi-Chennai (Tambaram) Grant Trunk Express left from Nagpur in the morning. While it was heading towards Sindi railway station in Wardha, smoke was detected in the last guard coach of the train at 11.09 am, Central Railway spokesperson Sanjay Muley told PTI.

The train was stopped on the Sindi-Tuljapur section, the affected coach was detached immediately, and the fire brigade was called, he said.

All passengers in the train and the coach concerned were safe, the official said.

The cause of the fire will be known after a detailed investigation.

The train will resume its journey in some time without the affected coach, the official added.