Bengaluru: The Karnataka High Court has issued an interim order restraining coercive action against BJP MLA B.P. Harish in connection with a case registered over his alleged derogatory remarks against Davanagere Superintendent of Police (SP) Uma Prashanth.
Justice M.I. Arun, hearing Harish’s petition seeking to quash the FIR filed at KTJ Nagar Police Station in Davanagere, passed the interim order on Friday. The court also directed the MLA to cooperate with the ongoing investigation. Meanwhile, notices have been issued to the respondents KTJ Nagar Police and SP Uma Prashanth, who is the complainant, and the matter has been adjourned.
Appearing on behalf of Harish, advocate P. Venkatesh Dalawai argued that the MLA had not intended to tarnish the reputation of the SP. He said the statement was made in the context of district-level ministers allegedly misusing their powers and failing to respect senior officers. He added that Harish had already issued a clarification through a press note.
The counsel further submitted that Harish had not mentioned the SP’s name directly but had made a general comment criticising the system. However, the case has been given a political colour and registered with mala fide intent, amounting to misuse of legal provisions.
The controversy began after SP Uma Prashanth lodged a complaint on the night of September 2. She alleged that during a press conference earlier that afternoon at the Davanagere Press Club, Harish had insulted her by comparing her conduct to that of a “Pomeranian dog belonging to the Shamanur family.” The complaint said Harish further remarked that the SP seemed to treat only those in power with importance and failed to respect all elected representatives equally.
Calling the MLA’s words “derogatory, offensive and deeply humiliating,” SP Uma Prashanth stated that the comments caused her severe mental distress and damage to her dignity, especially as a woman and as a senior police officer.
Based on her complaint, police booked Harish under Sections 79 (outraging the dignity of a woman) and 132 (obstructing a public servant in discharge of duty) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS). Challenging this FIR, Harish approached the High Court seeking relief.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Sukma (PTI): As many as 22 Naxalites surrendered in Chhattisgarh's Sukma district on Tuesday, police said.
The cadres, including a woman, turned themselves in before senior police and CRPF officials here under the `Poona Margem' (New Dawn) rehabilitation scheme of the government, Sukma Superintendent of Police Kiran Chavan said.
The Maoists' influence is steadily declining in the district due to the ongoing anti-Naxal operations, establishment of new security camps and the increased reach of development projects, he said.
The District Reserve Guard (DRG) Sukma, District Force Sukma, Range Field Team (RFT) Jagdalpur and the Central Reserve Police Force played a key role in encouraging the Naxalites to surrender, the SP said.
The surrendered Naxalites were provided an assistance of Rs 50,000 each and will be further rehabilitated as per the government's policy, he added.
More than 1,500 Naxalites surrendered in the state in 2025.
The Centre has resolved to eliminate Naxalism from the country by March 31, 2026.
