Bengaluru, Jun 23 (PTI): Union Minister H D Kumaraswamy on Monday launched a scathing attack on the Congress government in Karnataka over the alleged irregularities in the Housing department.

He alleged that MLAs are running from pillar to post, visiting engineers' offices and ministers for grants and government schemes.

"If even ruling party members are facing such problems, what would be the plight of opposition MLAs? Never before has the state seen such a sorry state of governance," he said.

In a statement from the Minister's office, Kumaraswamy alleged that while Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and his ministers are busy enjoying commission money, MLAs cannot even face the people in their constituencies.

"Is there any greater shame than this? This is not a claim made by the opposition; these are statements made by senior Congress MLAs themselves. Leaders like B R Patil, Raju Kage, and Belur Gopalakrishna have said this. They are the ones giving certificates to this government," he added.

Bharamgouda Alagouda Kage, the ruling Congress MLA from Kagwad, on Monday "threatened to resign" from the Karnataka Assembly, alleging an "administrative collapse" in the state.

Speaking to reporters in Belagavi, Kage expressed frustration over delays in development work in his constituency.

Supporting fellow Congress MLA B R Patil from Aland, Kage echoed concerns about "corruption and stagnation in public works."

Kumaraswamy alleged that for the past three days, the Housing Department has been making headlines for all the wrong reasons. "The government is trying to throw dust in the eyes of the public. This government no longer fears or respects the people," he claimed.

"Let’s talk about B R Patil, not just any MLA, but a senior and experienced legislator. While he was unaware, 950 houses were sanctioned in his constituency by the Housing Department. When he questioned the Minister’s close aide over a phone call, the aide’s response went viral in an audio clip. MLAs are being told, 'File a complaint if there’s a real issue; we’ll take action.' Who gave that aide the power to decide what action is to be taken? Has the Minister given him collection rights?" Kumaraswamy questioned.

B R Patil had earlier alleged corruption in a government housing scheme, claiming that money was being collected from beneficiaries. However, Minister B Z Zameer Ahmed Khan categorically denied Patil’s allegations.

Lashing out at Siddaramaiah, Kumaraswamy asked, "Is there even a Chief Minister in Karnataka? Is this really a government?"

"The Deputy CM (D K Shivakumar) runs away saying, 'I’ll check and get back to you.' Promises made in the legislative party meeting are not being fulfilled. It’s not just opposition voices. Your party MLAs are saying this," he added.

Alleging that there are multiple layers of scams within the Housing Department, he asked, "Will the Chief Minister demand the Housing Minister’s resignation? Does this CM have the courage, integrity, or moral authority to do so?"

Addressing media in Raichur, Siddaramaiah said he would speak to Kage.

He, however, clarified that there are no special grants or Chief Minister's grants. "People refer to all the grants we give as 'special grants.' But that’s not the case. We provide special grants only where they are required," Siddaramaiah said.

Regarding B R Patil, the CM said he has asked him to meet on June 25.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.

Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.

Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.

“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.

“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.

Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.

“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.

The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.

The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.

Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.

Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.