Bengaluru (PTI): Asserting that curbing corruption in appointments and transfers is his government’s clear objective, Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Saturday said all recruitments and transfers in the Health Department are being carried out strictly through counselling to ensure transparency.
He warned newly appointed candidates against approaching anyone for transfers and cautioned them about growing menace of transfer agents.
“All these recruitments are being done through counselling. The government’s objective is to eliminate corruption,” he said underlining the government’s stand on transparency in appointments.
Noting that even transfers were being streamlined, he said, “Through counselling, we have carried out around 5,700 transfers, including doctors — that is, we have transferred 5,700 doctors through counselling. Likewise, these new appointments have also been made through counselling so that corruption does not take place in transfers and recruitments.”
According to Siddaramaiah, everything is being done through counselling, and hence people should not approach anyone seeking transfers. "Do not go to anyone. Agents have started operating — transfer agents. They demand money and also try to get money paid to officials. No one should engage in such practices hereafter.”
The Chief Minister said he was sharing his experience.
“I have worked for more than 40 years as a Minister, MLA, Leader of the Opposition, and Chief Minister. Earlier this problem was not so prevalent, but now it is increasing,” he said.
He was speaking at a programme 'Abhaya Hasta' organised by the Department of Health and Family Welfare to distribute appointment letters to newly recruited candidates.
About 1,000 candidates received appointment letters and joined the department.
“I have symbolically distributed the appointment letters. Around 1,000 people are today receiving their appointment letters and joining the Department of Health and Family Welfare. I extend my congratulations and best wishes to all those who have been newly appointed,” he said.
Emphasising the importance of the department, he said, “Your appointment to the Health and Family Welfare Department is not merely for a profession or a job. This department serves the people. It also works to prevent diseases. You must always remember that you are the ones who help save lives.”
Referring to vacant posts, he said the government had assured people after returning to power that vacancies would be filled in a phased manner.
More than 2.5 lakh posts are vacant. These will be filled in stages, he said, adding that special focus was being given to Education, Health and Police departments, which he described as essential services.
Highlighting the spirit of public service, he said, “You have chosen to join the Health Department to serve with humanity. There is no place for caste or religion here — only humanity."
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): The Indian government is studying the developments on the US tariffs and their implications, the Commerce Ministry said on Saturday.
"We have noted the US Supreme Court judgement on tariffs yesterday (Friday). US President Donald Trump has also addressed a press conference in this regard.
"Some steps have been announced by the US administration. We are studying all these developments for their implications," the ministry said.
In a major setback to Trump's pivotal economic agenda for his second term, the US Supreme Court, in a 6-3 verdict written by Chief Justice John Roberts, ruled that the tariffs imposed by the president on nations around the world were illegal and that he had exceeded his authority when he imposed the sweeping levies.
Later, Trump's proclamation, dated February 20, said: "I impose, for a period of 150 days, a temporary import surcharge of 10 per cent ad valorem on articles imported into the United States, effective February 24, 2026".
The US had imposed a reciprocal tariff of 25 per cent on India in August.
Later, an additional 25 per cent was imposed for buying Russian crude oil, taking the total tariffs on India to 50 per cent. Earlier this month, both countries agreed to finalise an interim trade deal, under which Washington will cut down the tariffs to 18 per cent.
So far, the punitive 25 per cent has been removed. The remaining 25 per cent exists.
After the proclamation, the tariffs on Indian goods will now be 10 per cent. The 10 per cent levy is over and above the existing MFN or import duties in the US.
In the wake of the US Supreme Court's decision on tariffs, Trump said there is no change in the trade deal with India and emphasised that the India deal is on.
To finalise the legal text for the first phase of the bilateral trade agreement, the Indian team is scheduled to meet its counterparts in Washington from February 23, 2026.
During 2021-25, the US was India's largest trading partner in goods. The US accounts for about 18 per cent of India's total exports, 6.22 per cent in imports and 10.73 per cent in bilateral trade.
In 2024-25, the bilateral trade touched USD 186 billion (USD 86.5 billion exports and USD 45.3 billion imports).
