Bengaluru, Feb 10: Following the High Court's directions, the Karnataka government on Thursday decided to resume classes for high school students up to class 10 from February 14, and for Pre-University and Degree Colleges thereafter.

The decision was arrived at a meeting chaired by Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai with Ministers of Home, Primary and Secondary Education, Higher Education Departments, and senior officials.

"The three-judge bench has said that they will hear the case on a day-to-day basis and that everyone should maintain peace, and not to wear religious dress at colleges until then (order). They have also given instruction for reopening of educational institutions," Bommai said.

Speaking to reporters here, he said, discussions were held at the meeting aimed at establishing peace at school and college campuses and creating an atmosphere for students to study together, and to maintain law and order.

"It has been decided that high school classes up to class 10 will start functioning from Monday and in the second stage PUC and degree colleges will start, the dates will be announced in the due course," he said.

The Karnataka High court hearing the Hijab issue on Thursday asked students not to insist on wearing religious garment on campuses of educational institutions, till the disposal of the matter.

Posting the matter for Monday, the court also said the educational institutions can resume classes for the students.

The three-judge full bench of Chief Justice Ritu Raj Awasthi, Justice J M Khazi and Justice Krishna S Dixit, which was formed on Wednesday, also said it wants the matter to be resolved at the earliest but till that time peace and tranquillity is to be maintained.

The Chief Minister said he has called a meeting of Ministers with Deputy Commissioners, Superintendent of Police, Deputy Director of Public Instruction and CEOs of Zilla Panchayats of all districts on Friday evening via video conferencing to gather information about the ground situation in the districts and to give certain directions.

"Our Ministers, Education Minister, Home Minister and I will be in constant touch with senior officials, who have been instructed to remain in touch with district and taluk level officials. We will have to maintain peace, law and order until the High Court comes out with a final order and all the necessary steps are being taken in this regard," he said, as he complimented students for maintaining peace during the last two days.

As protests for and against the hijab intensified in different parts of Karnataka and turned violent in some places, the government declared a holiday to all high schools and colleges in the state for three days, from Wednesday.

Earlier in the day, Bommai urged upon everyone including politicians, not to make statements that incite people and to maintain peace.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bengaluru, Apr 03 (PTI): The Directorate of Revenue Intelligence said jeweller Sahil Sakariya Jain played a key role in assisting Kannada actress Harshavardhini Ranya, also known as Ranya Rao, in disposing of 49.6 kg of smuggled gold worth 40.14 crore.

According to the DRI’s remand note, Jain not only helped facilitate the illegal transaction but also abetted Ranya in hawala money transfers linked to the smuggling operation.

Jain, a jeweller by profession, was arrested on March 26 for assisting Ranya in the gold smuggling case.

He has been remanded to judicial custody until April 7.

Jain not only helped Ranya in allegedly disposing of the gold but also appeared to have facilitated Hawala money transactions.

"It appears that he assisted and abetted Accused No. 1 in disposing of approximately 49.6 kg of gold worth 40,13,59,374. He has also admitted to aiding A1 in transferring Hawala money amounting to around 38,39,97,000 to Dubai and 1,73,61,787 to A1 in Bengaluru," the DRI stated.

The agency further noted that the unaccounted cash of 2.67 crore seized from Ranya’s residence on March 4, as per the ‘Mahazar’ , was likely Hawala money she received as profit from purchasing gold in Dubai and selling it in Bengaluru.

The DRI added that Jain admitted to receiving a commission of 55,000 for each transaction.

"The voluminous evidence extracted from two mobile phones and a laptop belonging to Sahil Sakariya Jain further establishes his role in the smuggling of large quantities of gold into India by A1 ," the DRI stated.

According to the agency, in January 2025, Jain helped Ranya dispose of 14.568 kg of gold worth 11.56 crore and facilitated the transfer of 11.01 crore in Hawala transactions to Dubai.

Additionally, he admitted to transferring 55 lakh in Bengaluru.

In February, Jain allegedly assisted Ranya in disposing of 13.433 kg of gold worth 11.81 crore.

During the same month, he helped transfer 11.25 crore in Hawala funds to Dubai and 55.81 lakh to Ranya in Bengaluru.

Ranya, the stepdaughter of a DGP-rank officer in Karnataka, was arrested on March 3, shortly after returning from Dubai at Kempegowda International Airport.

The DRI officials seized 14.7 kg of gold from her possession.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.