Bengaluru(PTI): Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Tuesday said that his government will urge the Centre to include the recent increase in reservation to SC and ST communities under the ninth schedule of the Constitution.
He also gave an assurance that the government will table the Socio Economic Survey report in the legislature.
The chief minister said this after being felicitated by a delegation of the Federation of Backward Classes and Dalit seers here, his office said in a release.
Terming the hike of reservation by the previous BJP government an election gimmick, the CM said that even though the legislation enhancing reservation was implemented, they sent the proposal to the Centre to include the same in the 9th schedule just two days before elections.
The previous government has created confusion on the pretext of creating internal reservation for backward and scheduled castes, he said. "As a result of ignoring the advice given by us to take all communities into confidence before enhancing internal reservation, they faced opposition from various communities."
Such confusions arise when one does not have a commitment to social justice, he further said, adding that the Jana Sangh and the BJP have always had an anti-reservation stance. "The increase in reservation is a political gimmick."
The government will clear all confusions with regard to reservations, Siddaramaiah said, adding "The people of Karnataka have given an opportunity to the Congress party and are expecting a change. Whether it is in power or not, the Congress is always a secular party and will never compromise on its stand with regard to social justice."
Equal opportunities have to be given to people who are deprived of opportunities, the CM said, adding that when Congress was in power previously, the government had conducted socio-economic surveys through a permanent backward classes commission at a cost of Rs 162 crore.
"The previous governments hesitated to receive the survey report, but now our government will receive the report. Necessary facilities shall be provided in different sectors like education, employment, and business based on the facts," he added.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Guwahati, Apr 4 (PTI): The Assam cabinet has decided to lift all cases pending against people from the Koch Rajbongshi community in the Foreigners' Tribunals, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said on Friday.
They will also no longer carry the tag of 'D' or doubtful voters, he said.
''There are 28,000 cases pending in different Foreigners' Tribunals in the state against people of the community. The cabinet has taken a historic decision of lifting the cases with immediate effect,'' Sarma said at a press conference here after the cabinet meeting.
The government believes that the Koch Rajbongshis are an indigenous community of the state and they are an inextricable part of ''our social and cultural fabric'', he asserted.
The people of this community are poor and have suffered a lot over the years, he said.
''They will no longer carry the tag of foreigners or ‘D’ voters,'' the CM said.
Foreigners Tribunals are quasi-judicial bodies, particularly in Assam, established to determine if a person residing in India is a "foreigner" as defined by the Foreigners Act of 1946, based on the Foreigners (Tribunals) Order of 1964.
These tribunals are designed to address matters related to citizenship and the presence of “foreigners” in India, specifically focusing on cases where someone is suspected of being an illegal immigrant.
There are 100 Foreigners’ Tribunals across Assam.
The Koch Rajbongshis have a sizeable presence in Assam, West Bengal, Meghalaya, and parts of Bangladesh, Nepal, and Bhutan, and they demand Scheduled Tribe status.