Hubballi (Karnataka), Jan 9: A large number of shops and business establishments remained shut, affecting normal life for most of the day on Thursday in the twin cities of Hubballi-Dharwad, in response to the bandh called by various Dalit organisations to protest against Union Home Minister Amit Shah’s alleged derogatory remarks against B R Ambedkar.
Public transport was also affected, while schools and colleges remained closed. However there were movements of two-wheelers and auto rickshaws, but they were relatively less in number.
Along with Dalit organisations and various associations, the Congress party also extended support to the bandh.
Dalit organisations staged protest marches and agitations against Shah, condemning his remarks and sought his dismissal from the union cabinet.
Police had made elaborate security arrangements to ensure that no untoward incidents occured.
A similar shutdown was observed in Bidar, where Dalit organisations took to the streets to protest against Shah’s statement.
Shah, taking a swipe at the opposition, during a debate on the Constitution in the Rajya Sabha last month had said, "Abhi ek fashion ho gaya hai—Ambedkar, Ambedkar, Ambedkar, Ambedkar, Ambedkar, Ambedkar. Itna naam agar bhagwan ka lete to saat janmon tak swarg mil jata (It has become a fashion to say Ambedkar, Ambedkar, Ambedkar, Ambedkar, Ambedkar, Ambedkar. If they had taken God's name so many times, they would have got a place in heaven)."
Congress, other opposition parties, and various Dalit organisations had termed his remarks as an "insult" to the architect of the Indian Constitution.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Chennai (PTI): Afghanistan skipper Rashid Khan called for more bilateral series against stronger cricketing nations after his team signed off from the T20 World Cup on a high, defeating Canada in their final group match here on Thursday.
Afghanistan played some exhilarating cricket, going down to South Africa in a gripping second Super Over after the scores were tied, a humdinger that provided one of the early thrills of the World Cup.
However, the spin-bowling stalwart said Afghanistan could make significant strides if they get regular opportunities to compete against stronger cricketing nations.
"Couple of areas to improve, with the batting, the middle order got a bit stuck against the big teams, and then with the bowling the death overs. That comes when you play the bigger teams in bilateral series," said Rashid after his team defeat Canada by 82 runs, with him returning excellent figures of 2 for 19.
The stalwart said the side had arrived well prepared for the tournament and produced some breathtaking cricket, but admitted the narrow defeat to South Africa proved costly and remained a painful setback.
"We were well-prepared (for the tournament), we played some unbelievable cricket. The game against South Africa, that really hurt everyone. We had to win one of those (first two) games and see how the tournament unfolded. We'll take some positive things from this World Cup and look forward," he said.
With head coach Jonathan Trott set to part ways with the team, Rashid described the departure as an "emotional" moment for the side.
"I think we had some wonderful times with him. Where we are now, he played a main role. It's emotional to see him leave us, but that's how life is. We wish him all the best and somewhere down the line we see him again."
Ibrahim Zadran, who was named Player of the Match for his unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, said it was satisfying to finally register a substantial score after two below-par outings.
"I enjoyed it, didn't play better cricket in first two innings, which I expect. Wanted to back my skills, really enjoyed it. Pressure was there, it's there all the time. I want to put myself in pressure situations and enjoy it," said Zadran.
"Wanted to play positive cricket, rotate strike and punish bad ball, create partnerships and this is what I have done."
