Bengaluru: Labour Minister Santosh Lad on Sunday said that India ranks second in the world for beef exports, with Uttar Pradesh being the highest contributor. He questioned the moral stance of the state’s leadership in light of this data.

Speaking to reporters in Davangere, Lad stated, “India is one of the top exporters of beef globally, and Uttar Pradesh is at the forefront of this. The Chief Minister of that state, who often invokes 'Gau Mata', should respond to this contradiction.”

Lad also alleged that financial irregularities are taking place in the name of taxation and digital payments. Citing a recent example, he said, “The hotel where I went to eat benne dosa has received a notice from the Centre. On one hand, they are targeting small businesses, while on the other, they have written off loans worth thousands of crores for big businessmen. But there is no loan waiver for the poor.”

Taking a dig at the Centre’s sports initiatives, Lad criticized the disproportionate spending on schemes like Khelo India. “There are a dozen programs with names like Khelo India and Bhago India. Gujarat alone spent ₹600 crore on Khelo India but did not win a single medal. Why wasn’t that money given to states like Haryana and Punjab, which consistently win medals?” he asked.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.

Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.

Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.

“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.

“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.

Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.

“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.

The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.

The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.

Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.

Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.