Bengaluru (PTI): Union Heavy Industries and Steel Minister H D Kumaraswamy on Tuesday urged Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw to consider introducing a Vande Bharat Express service between Bengaluru and Madgaon in Goa via coastal Karnataka.

He cited the long-pending public demand and improved operational readiness of the route.

In a letter to Vaishnaw, Kumaraswamy said the proposed high-speed service would significantly enhance rail connectivity between the state capital and the coastal belt of Karnataka and Goa, especially in the wake of the successful electrification of the ghat section.

He noted that the corridor linking Bengaluru with Hassan, Mangaluru Junction, Udupi and Karwar caters to a wide and diverse passenger base, including tourists, pilgrims, students and professionals.

"I would like to draw your kind attention to a long-standing and widely shared public aspiration for improved high-speed rail connectivity between Bengaluru and the coastal belt of Karnataka and Goa. With the successful completion of electrification across the ghat section, the route is now operationally well-positioned for the introduction of a Vande Bharat Express service," Kumaraswamy said in the letter.

The former Karnataka Chief Minister pointed out that a Vande Bharat Express on this route would strengthen the link between Bengaluru, described as the IT capital of India, and the major commercial, port and tourism centres of coastal Karnataka and Goa.

He said enhanced connectivity would not only reduce travel time, but also improve passenger comfort and reliability.

Kumaraswamy further requested the Railway Minister to direct the South Western Railway to examine the feasibility of the proposed service and initiate appropriate action.

He said the introduction of the train would help meet growing passenger demand, promote regional economic activity, boost tourism and enhance inter-state connectivity.

According to the letter, the proposal is aligned with the union government's vision of building an integrated, efficient and modern rail network across the country.

Kumaraswamy, the JD(S) second-in-command, said he would be grateful for favourable consideration of the request and for initiating the necessary administrative process at an early date.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): The Delhi High Court on Friday sought the stand of Delhi Police on a bail plea by Olympian Sushil Kumar in the murder case of former junior national wrestling champion Sagar Dhankar.

Justice Anup J Bhambhani issued notice to Delhi Police and the kin of the deceased, and asked them to file a status report and a reply, respectively.

Noting that the Supreme Court had cancelled the bail granted to Kumar by the high court in August last year, the judge remarked, "I think you are being ambitious."

"Once the Supreme Court has taken a view, what do you expect from me?" the court asked.

ALSO READ:  'My girl lay soaked in blood but no one stopped to help,' recalls Janakpuri accident victim

The counsel for the accused said the bail plea should be considered since all public witnesses have been examined in the trial.

The counsel for Delhi Police and the deceased's kin, however, said all public witnesses were yet to be examined.

"Let a status report/detailed reply be filed before the next date of hearing. Renotify on May 4," the court said.

Kumar was arrested in May 2021 and a sessions court granted him a week's interim bail for his knee surgery on July 19, 2023.

On August 13, 2025, the Supreme Court cancelled Kumar's bail, setting aside a March 4 high court order and noting that his "domineering influence" over witnesses or delaying the trial proceedings could not be ruled out.

On February 6 this year, a trial court refused to grant bail to Kumar, saying the possibility that the accused might influence witnesses "cannot be ruled out".

The trial court, in October 2022, framed charges against Kumar under Indian Penal Code sections dealing with murder, criminal conspiracy, intimidation and rioting with a deadly weapon. Charges were also framed under the provisions of the Arms Act.

The trial court had noted that after being abducted and brought to the Chhatrasal Stadium, Dhankar was severely assaulted by several accused persons with baseball and hockey sticks.