Bengaluru, Jul 11 (PTI): In the wake of Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah asserting that he would complete his five years’ tenure, his deputy D K Shivakumar on Friday said the CM has replied to all the questions on the matter.
"The Chief Minister has already answered all your questions. It’s not appropriate for me to keep repeating the same, and it’s not right for you to keep asking," Shivakumar told reporters at the Bengaluru airport, upon his return from New Delhi.
Both Siddaramaiah and Shivakumar were in the national capital to meet the Congress high command earlier this week.
"Why are you (pointing to reporters) panicking about our internal matters when we are not?" Shivakumar quipped, dismissing speculation that the talks were about a power-sharing arrangement.
Following the Congress’ victory in the May 2023 Assembly elections, there had been intense competition between Siddaramaiah and Shivakumar for the Chief Minister's post. Reports at the time suggested that they agreed upon a rotational CM formula, under which Shivakumar would take over after two-and-a-half years, in November 2025. However, the party has never confirmed such an agreement.
Asked about growing support for him within the party to take over as CM, Shivakumar said, "Leave it. Many of you have aspirations too." He declined to comment further on questions about leadership change.
"I’m not going to answer any of your questions at this point," he said, adding that there were no political discussions during the Delhi visit.
"We discussed appointments of party workers as chairpersons and members of boards and corporations. Since all MLAs have submitted their opinions, we’re now in the final stages. One more round of discussions with the high command will help finalise the names," he said.
On Thursday, Siddaramaiah told reporters in Delhi that there was "no vacancy" for the top post when asked about speculation over a leadership change in Karnataka.
"Is there any vacancy for the chief ministership? I am very much here before you. I am the Chief Minister of Karnataka. That is what Shivakumar has said, and I am also saying it... There is no vacancy," he added.
He also pointed out that the Congress general secretary in charge of Karnataka, Randeep Singh Surjewala, had categorically denied any leadership change, and that Shivakumar had echoed the same.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.
Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.
Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.
“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.
“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.
“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.
The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.
The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.
Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.
Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.
