Bengaluru, Jun 5: Karnataka on Sunday reported 301 fresh COVID-19 infections and one fatality, the State Health department said.

The new cases took the overall virus tally in the state to 39,53,359 while one death pushed the toll to 40,066.

The infections include 291 in Bengaluru Urban district, three in Mysuru, and two in Dakshina Kannada.

There were zero infections and fatalities in 23 districts of the state.

The Health department said 146 people were discharged, taking the total number of recoveries to 39,10,837 till date. The number of active cases stood at 2,414.

The positivity rate for the day was 1.40 per cent and case fatality rate was 0.33 per cent.

As many as 21,413 tests were conducted, including 16,533 RT-PCR tests. The total number of tests done till date was 6.64 crore.

There were 6,426 inoculations done today, taking the total vaccination count to 10.93 crore so far, it said.

To view today's health bulletin: CLICK HERE

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): BJP MLC Amit Gorkhe on Thursday claimed a Pune-based hospital refused to admit the pregnant wife of his personal secretary due to non-payment of advance deposit of Rs 10 lakh.

The woman, Tanisha Bhise, later died at another hospital after giving birth to twins, he said in a video message.

Her husband Sushant works as a personal secretary to Gorkhe.

The hospital refuted the allegations and blamed the woman's kin for giving "misleading information".

"Despite an assurance to pay Rs 3 lakh immediately, the hospital denied admission to the patient. Even a call was made from Mantralaya to the Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital, but it did not yield any response from the hospital," Gorkhe alleged.

"The woman was later taken to another hospital, where she gave birth to twin girls but passed away. This is a serious issue. I request the chief minister to take strict action against the hospital. I will also raise this matter in the upcoming legislative session," Gorkhe said.

Shiv Sena (UBT) leader Sushma Andhare also took to social media and asserted the hospital sought Rs 10 lakh as deposit despite the woman's kin agreeing to arrange Rs 2.5 lakh immediately and the rest in a short period.

"Even after a call from Mantralaya, the hospital did not change its stand. The patient had to be shifted to another hospital, where she delivered twins but did not survive. Had the hospital administration shown some humanitarian consideration, Tanisha Bhise might have been alive today," Andhare stated.

BJP leader and MLC Chitra Wagh also criticised the hospital's action and sought strict action, including revoking licences of doctors or hospitals found guilty of such behaviour.

"If this is the treatment meted out to someone close to a legislator, one can only imagine the plight of ordinary patients," Wagh said.

Wagh in her post on X said, "The doctors were supposed to offer support to the woman but they showed their commercial interest only. If such type of treatment is offered by the hospitals operated by charitable trusts, then the doctor's license should be cancelled and hospital should be closed. One strong step would give a message to others who practice in such way."

The hospital, meanwhile, refuted the allegations and blamed the woman's kin for giving "misleading information".

"We will prepare a detailed report about the incident and will submit it to the health department of the state. The report will have detailed medical information about the incident which was concealed by the kin of the deceased woman,” said Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital medical director Dr Dhananjay Kelkar said.