Bengaluru, May 11: The Karnataka government on Tuesday announced free meals thrice a day for the poor, labourers and migrant workers at the 'Indira Canteens' across the state till May 24 during the lockdown-like restrictions to contain the spread of COVID-19.
"To ease hardships that come with the strict restrictions, three free meals will be made available to the poor, migrants and workers in need, at Indira Canteens in Bengaluru and across the state till May 24," Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa tweeted on Tuesday.
In a letter to the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike Chief Commissioner Gaurav Gupta, the Urban Development Department under secretary N K Lakshmisagar said the poor, labourers and migrant labourers will be given free breakfast, lunch and dinner till May 24.
Accordingly, necessary measures need to be taken and a detailed list of the possible footfall has to be prepared, it said.
The government said Rs 25 crore out of Rs 300 crore released to the BBMP from the Natural Disaster Response Fund should be utilised for the purpose.
The government imposed stringent restrictions on the advice of the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC), ministers and opposition leaders.
The advice came following surging COVID cases in the state.
The migrant workers had left for their home state last year in hordes complaining of hardship and no relief measures for them during the lockdown.
This time, the state government made arrangements for them to stay put in Karnataka.
Most of the migrant workers are the important workforce for various ongoing infrastructure projects and construction industries.
With this announcement, the Indira Canteens, the ambitious project of the Congress government led by former Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, would come to life one year after they were shut due to COVID.
The Congress had time and again alleged that the state government wanted to close down these canteens aimed at offering meals to the economically weaker section at a highly subsidised rate.
These canteens were built in Bengaluru and elsewhere after spending crores of rupees.
From May 12 to May 24, until the end of lockdown, #IndiraCanteens in BBMP limits will serve free food packets 3 times a day for poor people, migrants & labourers. BBMP is taking measures to tackle the adversities caused by the virus in every way. #WithYouAgainstCovid19 pic.twitter.com/CpGEPx4jzF
— Gaurav Gupta,IAS (@BBMPCOMM) May 11, 2021
To ease hardships that come with the strict restrictions, three free meals will be made available to the poor, migrants and workers in need, at Indira Canteens in Bengaluru and across the state till May 24.
— B.S. Yediyurappa (@BSYBJP) May 11, 2021
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): Parliament early Friday passed the contentious Waqf (Amendment) Bill, 2025, after it was approved by the Rajya Sabha.
The Lok Sabha had on Thursday approved the Bill after over a 12-hour debate.
In Rajya Sabha, the Bill got 128 votes in its favour and 95 against after all the amendments moved by the opposition were rejected.
In the lower house, the bill was supported by 288 MPs while 232 voted against it.
Participating in a debate in the Rajya Sabha, Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju said the Bill was brought with a number of amendments based on suggestions given by various stakeholders.
"The Waqf Board is a statutory body. All government bodies should be secular," the minister said, explaining the inclusion of non-Muslims on the board.
He, however, said the number of non-Muslims has been restricted to only four out of 22.
Rijiju also alleged that the Congress and other opposition parties, and not the BJP, were trying to scare Muslims with the Waqf Bill.
"You (opposition) are pushing Muslims out of the mainstream," he added.
He said for 60 years, the Congress and others ruled the country, but did not do much for Muslims and the community continues to live in poverty.
"Muslims are poor, who is responsible? You (Congress) are. Modi is now leading the government to uplift them," the minister said.
According to the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, Waqf tribunals will be strengthened, a structured selection process will be maintained, and a tenure will be fixed to ensure efficient dispute resolution.
As per the Bill, while Waqf institutions' mandatory contribution to Waqf boards is reduced from 7 per cent to 5 per cent, Waqf institutions earning over Rs 1 lakh will undergo audits by state-sponsored auditors.
A centralised portal will automate Waqf property management, improving efficiency and transparency.
The Bill proposes that practising Muslims (for at least five years) can dedicate their property to the Waqf, restoring pre-2013 rules.
It stipulates that women must receive their inheritance before the Waqf declaration, with special provisions for widows, divorced women and orphans.
The Bill proposes that an officer above the rank of collector investigate government properties claimed as Waqf.
It also proposes that non-Muslim members be included in the central and state Waqf boards for inclusivity.