Chikkamagaluru (Karnataka), Jul 16 (PTI): In a bid to manage weekend traffic congestion and mitigate environmental risks, the Chikkamagaluru district administration on Wednesday announced a new slot-based vehicular entry system to the hill station of Mullayanagiri, the highest peak in Karnataka.
Deputy Commissioner C N Meena Nagaraj, addressing the media, said soon vehicles will be allowed uphill in two time slots daily--from 6 am to noon, and again from 1 pm to 6 pm--with a cap of 600 vehicles per slot. A one-hour buffer between slots will enable vehicles already at the summit to descend without added traffic pressure.
To further streamline operations, parking will be provided at Seethalayyanagiri, and tourists will be encouraged to trek or use permitted departmental jeeps and Tata Tempos.
According to the DC, an online pre-booking system for vehicles is being introduced. However, during red alert, weather warnings or religious events such as temple fairs at Seethalayyanagiri and tourist bookings will be suspended. Local devotees will be granted free access during such periods.
Over the past six months, approximately 2.5 lakh vehicles have used the narrow ghat road to reach the peak.
The official cited a recent study by geologists warning of landslide risks due to high vehicular movement, particularly during long weekends when mini-buses and TT vehicles dominate the route.
According to officials, the Seethalayyanagiri public restrooms will be fully renovated, and efforts are underway to develop a food court model for vendors. Licences had earlier been granted to 35 shops in the region by the local panchayat, and the tourism department will now regulate them under a unified plan funded by a recently sanctioned grant.
Local residents will be provided with special passes after submitting required documentation to the tourism department, ensuring their access is not hindered.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.
Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.
Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.
“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.
“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.
“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.
The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.
The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.
Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.
Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.
